Photos of new Sub-12....

IAmtnbikr

The American-manufactured RW-12 was superior to the 15" "Best Buy" line Klipsch subwoofer. I've no doubts that is superior to this "Sub 12" or whatever.

There is NO way that a subwoofer with a smaller amplifier, less expensive driver, and smaller enclosure is going to exceed the performance of a larger subwoofer, especially when manufactured by the SAME company. Anyone who claims otherwise has a sub-par level of cognitive ability, whatever optimistic specs are published.

This "smaller is better" horsepuckey should be the provenance of Bose, NOT Klipsch. I was afraid we'd start moving in this direction, and evidently we are. But hey, you can fit MORE "Sub-12"s into a standard Container ship box than an RW-12, so it must be better, right?

----------------

On 5/8/2005 8:05:34 AM Cleve wrote:

There is NO way that a subwoofer with a smaller amplifier, less expensive driver, and smaller enclosure is going to exceed the performance of a larger subwoofer, especially when manufactured by the SAME company.

----------------

hey, let's add another absolute to that list, too:

most people are very reluctant to admit that what they have may not actually be so grand.

2.gif

All I can say is what I did on the other thread...IMO for the dollar value the Sub-12 (and reread this sentence: my opinion, lol!!!) outperforms the RW-12. I would imagine that I am one of the very few outside of Indianapolis who can honestly tell you I have been able to compare the two so far. The very slight difference in RMS and peak power is just that when you compare output numbers...very slight. So, my poor cognitive reasoning tells me they are still a great deal for the price, and unless you want to step up to the "true" Reference sub (RSW-12) it bears a look and a listen before any criticism is posted.2.gif Give that new sub a listen!!!!!!9.gif

----------------

On 5/3/2005 7:15:27 PM psg wrote:

It looks very nice! I wonder what they'll go for in Canada...

----------------

I would like a Klipsch admin or person in the know to answer this simple question.

Thank you

Guest Deon Bearden

----------------

On 5/9/2005 7:35:35 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 5/3/2005 7:15:27 PM psg wrote:

It looks very nice! I wonder what they'll go for in Canada...

----------------

I would like a Klipsch admin or person in the know to answer this simple question.

Thank you

----------------

Untill they are launched in Canada we cannot know. If you know the RW-12 price state-side, vs Canadian, you can likely extrapolate the Canadian price. MSRP = 150 less stateside on RW-12.

Best Buy is one of the worst places to audition audio equipment. heck, that may go for everything, but I will restrict my comments to just audio. I went in last week to listen to the new F series and the Sub-12. Well, the F3's were impressive, despite the fact they are set up on an aisle on a metal display cabinet. Yes, this really simulates what they would play like in MY living room!

This brings me to the Sub-12, also set up on a metal shelf in the middle of an aisle. So the thumping of the sub was overshadowed by the banging reflex of the metal shelves it was rattling. Sure, it sounds like it could rattle a few windows but, for pete's sake, set up the system in a realistic setting so I can truly demo the speakers/subs! Best Buy just does an injustice to not only the speakers but the customers who desire to purchase them as well!

Now, I truly appreciated the RW-12 for the price I paid for it (less than the $499 retail of the Sub-12.) Since I question anything that costs retail at Best Buy, I can say I would be surprised if the Sub-12 is better than the RW-12 but I admittedly haven't done an A-B side by side comparison. But, then again, short of buying one and bringing it home, there is no way you can get a realistic impression of the Sub-12 the way Best Buy has them set-up!

On a positive note, they at least had all of the components hooked up properly this time so I could at least get the speakers to play the demo music. Too many times I have went in and not only were they not connected to demo, nobody around knew how to connect them to demo.

D

I'll carry on the Best Buy rant. Mrs. Olorin wanted to hear the F3s, so we went to the Aisle of Painful Experiences, I mean the speaker row, at our local store. First, though, I had to go over to the boom boxes and turn down the five machines that were cranking the local rap station with the volume set to eleven. This seemed okay with the employees there.

Once we got to where the speakers were, we selected the F3. No sound came out, but the F2s made some noise. Oh wait, those are the F3s, they're just hooked up to the F2 connection. Bummer about the boomy bass, though. Oh wait, someone has turned the sub up to eleven too. What's that sound behind us? Oh, the JBL display that won't shut up -- you turn it down to hear something else, and it magically turns itself back up every two minutes. Now let's try to get a two minute no-JBL-display window to coincide with a the-morons-in-car-audio-are-done-for-a-few-seconds window. Now why is there NO bass at all from the F3s when the sub is off? Oh, they're hooked up out of phase.

Yes, this was a worthwhile adventure.

Oh, the Bose display sounded great, except for the part about sounding like Bose. It was, at least, operable. Best Buy could try harder to leave me with a negative impression of Klipsch products, but my imagination is strained in trying to figure out how.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 4:41:38 PM Spkrdctr wrote:

Ken, give us the info! Spill it. I need to know, I can handle the truth!
9.gif

----------------

Yes, spill it ratboy! I may not be able to handle the truth but, Spkrdctr (short of needing a few vowels) can certainly handle it!

D