Installing Altec 511b in LaScala

Yes, a number of folks have and I am sure they will chime in but basically you have to cut the opening in to the La Scala HF bin to mount it and it will take up the entire section. You will have to mount a separate tweeter outside the section if you choose to use one.

Mick,

I detailed the cuts on putting the 511B in the LasScala in this thread...

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=53469

Al,

"Personally, I think the 811b is a better choice fo the LaScala. It's smaller and the woofer can easy go up for a higher crossover. The 811b born will leave room for a tweeter. "

I have 811b horns as well. I personally thought they would look a little funny in the top section of the LaScala compared to the 511b as you would see their baffle then the LaScalas motorboard which I don't think would look as good. It also looks kind of 3/4 sized compared to the rest of the LaScala. The bigger horn fits the top so well it looks like it could have been that way from the factory.

I am not sure about fitting a tweeter with the 811b though. That might take some juggling in having the tweeter fit somewhere while at the same time having the 811b cover any holes in the front baffle so that the baffle looks solid. That would get more difficult with a larger tweeter like the JBL 2404h or whatever.

To add a tweeter with either horn to another small box on top of the LaScala would be really easy of course. At some point I will probably try it as I have the tweeters I'd use. Just no crossovers. :)

Shawn

• 5 years later...

Breath, breath, sorry just reviving a old thread. This is one of my next projects, I was just comparing specs between the Beyma cp25, Jbl 2404, and the cheaply selenium hm1725 with the dd220ti driver(don't know if anyone's ever gave these a listen maybe I will start a new thread on them). But I am building a hole new top hat for it with a 511b and one of those tweeters, I was hoping that they were the same size so I could easily swap out to compare the 3 for my liking.

This will be center channel for my HT later down the road. Just always browsing for ideas.

Now I am glad Al is around for this so maybe he can give me ideas on crossovers for just the top hat since I will be active crossing over with the bass bin.

Thanks

Nick

Guest David H

selenium hm1725 with the dd220ti driver(don't know if anyone's ever gave these a listen maybe I will start a new thread on them).

Breathing, Breathing..... you had to dig half way to China to get find this old thread.

Duder, the D-220ti really sounds good. I was initially sceptical of the Selenium because it was so inexpensive, but I dare say I like it as much as my JBL 2404's

Dave

Mick,

Al,

"Personally, I think the 811b is a better choice fo the LaScala. It's smaller and the woofer can easy go up for a higher crossover. The 811b born will leave room for a tweeter. "

I have 811b horns as well. I personally thought they would look a little funny in the top section of the LaScala compared to the 511b as you would see their baffle then the LaScalas motorboard which I don't think would look as good. It also looks kind of 3/4 sized compared to the rest of the LaScala. The bigger horn fits the top so well it looks like it could have been that way from the factory.

I am not sure about fitting a tweeter with the 811b though. That might take some juggling in having the tweeter fit somewhere while at the same time having the 811b cover any holes in the front baffle so that the baffle looks solid. That would get more difficult with a larger tweeter like the JBL 2404h or whatever.

To add a tweeter with either horn to another small box on top of the LaScala would be really easy of course. At some point I will probably try it as I have the tweeters I'd use. Just no crossovers. :)

Shawn

Neither the 811 nor the 511 require a tweeter. Both are useful to 20,000 Hz and every crossover point degrades the sound, because you have two different drivers reproducing the same frequencies. Eliminating the midrange to tweeter crossover is one of the primary benefits of wide range horns.

Mick,

Al,

Shawn

Neither the 811 nor the 511 require a tweeter. Both are useful to 20,000 Hz and every crossover point degrades the sound, because you have two different drivers reproducing the same frequencies. Eliminating the midrange to tweeter crossover is one of the primary benefits of wide range horns.

They are a little beamy up high but I really like them. For critical listening I usually chill on the couch with the horns pointed at me anyway. The problem is getting the right driver that can go low enough with low distortion.

FWIW I'm using a Selenium D220 on a 511b from about 700hz up, with EQ to push up the high end,

on a 3 way active Khorn Configuration, with the k55\k401 doing ~400hz to 700hz duties.

so the K77 is out, and the k55\k401 isn't used into "nasty" mode.

So I assume a 2 way on a LS D220 on a 511b should be perfect.

(before that, I was bold enough to run a 2 way by EQing the khorn flat up to 500hz and EQ

the Selenium flat down 20Khz to 500hz with steep cross over,

it worked quit well, but something was a bit wrong, especially in imaging,

slightly higher THD levels on the khorn 350hz and up, and pushing the D220 to places were it wasn't designed to go).

Also according to my ear(not measured this time), It appears to me that the 511b doesn't load a K55 in the 400hz region as well as a k400\1 will do,

but the 511b is a great mid\high. I measured extremely low THD levels with the D220 @1Khz on the 511b at bout 90db SPL 6F away in room.