any LaScalla lovers?

"personally think users of these speakers without corner placement would have a much better experience with them if they attenuated the tweeter and squawker a bit. High sensitivity is good, but better sound is gooder, uh, I mean better."

Makes sense to me Dean. That's why I thought my LSs sounded better using the much wider dispersion EV SM-120A midhorns. Spreading the energy out more to the sides brought the response on axis down.

Others using wider dispersion horns on LSs report good results too.

For those who care to hear idle comments about the EVs, Ill retype a couple comments from the April 1978 issue of High Fidelity Magazine (seems this is the actual report I read that turned me onto these)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The design principles in question are derived from the work of A.N. Thiele and R.H. Small in applying filter theory to loudspeakers. Seen in this light, the woofer and vented enclosure of the Interface D behave like a high pass filter that rolls off fairly rapidly (at a rate approaching 36 db per octave) below its cutoff frequency (50 Hz or so). Some of the low-frequency contouring on which the assisted alignment operation of the system depends is supplied by an external equalizer that MUST be used ahead of the power amp driving the woofer. (This model can be easily biamped). The equalizer also attenuates subsonic noise. Omnidirectional anechoic frequency response data from the lab suggests that useful output is produced down to about an octave below cutoff.

Another part I found interesting

Matching its muscle against the test amp in the lab, Interface D soaked up a steady 20 dBW (100 watts) at 300 Hz and yielded an output of 112 db SPL at 1 meter on axis. Pulsed at this frequency, the system delivers a 119 ½ dB peak output, unmatched at least in our recent memory, from an input of 27 ½ dBW (563 watts) peak. Technically, the speaker exceeds the 10% total (second plus third) harmonic distortion limit in the steady state test, but the fact that the high level sweep test (at a power equivalent to 100 dB SPL output at 300 Hz) reveals abrupt rises and falls in distortion suggests that this may be the result of cancellation effects on the fundamental when measured in the anechoic chamber. Additional support for this view comes from the fact that 300 Hz is near a crossover.

Now frankly, Im not terribly sure what all that technical stuff means. All I know is they will stomp a set of Bose Accoustimass speakers to smithereens. All I do is pick the 120 pound EV up and slam it down on top of the Bose, works every time.11.gif11.gif11.gif10.gif9.gif

Going back to the original question posed here... I love my La Scalas! I agree with most of the other posts touting Cornwalls as having "more" bass. I personally feel however, that the La Scalas have more "accurate" bass; tight and full down to around 45 - 50 Hz, which for me is fine. I have a sub to fill in the rest when I want it, but most of the time it stays off. I can only describe the midrange as "sublime" and full of detail. I cannot comment on how the Khorn bass is more, or less accurate, because I don't have them... yet.9.gif

• 3 years later...

Man am I glad i joined the forum. The wife left me two months ago, and all my stress is going away. Advice to readers...Don't marry an alchoholic, even if you do love her. You will pay the price. Anyway back to the question at hand. I first heard LaScala's in 1978. I was in the Air Force in Mtn. Home Idaho. I worked part time in a Disco club, and when I saw a pair of these puppies were pounding out enough sound to fill a club, I was intrigued. I would go in early sometimes to put something a little more challenging on the platters and these speakers just amazed me to no end. Since then, I have had about every speaker I can think of. Bose 901's sound great at around 10,000 watts, but by that point my father was telling me to "turn that shit down". I've had Advent, Yamaha, JBL, Cerwin Vega, the list goes on and on. As much as I am a fan of Klipsch, and not an audio expert, I will say this. Sound is different to every individual. So try and find a pair to listen too, and get what you like. My set up will be lead by my 1977 LaScalla's in my new digs next week. I'll let you know!

Now frankly, I’m not terribly sure what all that technical stuff means. All I know is they will stomp a set of **** XXXXXXXXXXXX speakers to smithereens. All I do is pick the 120 pound EV up and slam it down on top of the Bose, works every time.11.gif11.gif11.gif10.gif9.gif

Now, Coytee, what have we told you about your language on here? This is a public forum after all. And children may occasionally visit.

Do you need to do some more time in the chamber with said little cube speakers blasting Lawrence Welk again? And no sneaking in Marie Osmond this time.

(oops, sorry, back on track)

Welcome Dougster and enjoy your new LaScalas. Some good music should help you adjust. Good luck and plase stay aound. We're not all nuts, at least not all the time. (Coytee is the court jester, and I think I'm king, but nobody complained when I annointed myself as such.... )