Decware Zen Amp

Beverly

Does anyone have experience with this amp? I am currently using Lowther Acousta's with newish PM7A's. I am considering a replacement of the speakers, perhaps La Scala's. What are your thoughts on this pairing ??

Regards

bevcwm1.gif

This message has been edited by Beverly on 09-02-2001 at 07:35 PM

I had a Decware Zen about a year ago. They had a 30 day trial, and I sent it back after 29 days.

The amp sounded OK I guess, but was too weak for my Klipshorns (and I would assume way too weak for LaScalas).

Not that I'm a head-banger, but playing something like Red Hot Chili Peppers would cause the Zen to clip at nominal listening volumes.

The Zen was fine on "little-girl-with-acoustic-guitar" music and if you mostly listen to quieter fare, and don't want to turn it up (ever) then it's probably OK.

It would be better if you bought two, one for each channel, but by then you are talking enough money to be getting real amps, with real measurements.

My main complaint with Steve (although he is a nice guy and very very convincing on the phone) is that he rates the Zen at 5 watts when it can't possibly be over about 1.5 watts. It couldn't do 5 watts downhill with a tail wind.

Bev, you do not say what you have for an amp now, but Steve Rochlin has recommended some cheap Wave AV-8 tube amps at his Enjoy the Music site:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/coolaudio.htm with AV8 $100 tube amps

Super efficient horn speakers would be best mated with tube amps, like the Jolida integrated or the Antique Sound Lab integrated amps, especially if you are putting together a system for a little miss sensitive ears woman. Check out the recent review of the Antique Sound Lab MG-SI15DT Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier for that wonderful combination of tubes and horns. Go to:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/antique-sound-lab-15dt-tube-amp-1-2001.html>http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/antique-sound-lab-15dt-tube-amp-1-2001.htmlL>

women are especially sensitive to sound and tube amps rate very high with them, as they did with my little miss sensitive ears -

I have heard that Lowthers are a seamless sound, but I think you will need oodles of power to get the dynamic range of horns out of the cone drivers ...

------------------

big old horns, tube amps, tube pre-amp, British CD player, two subs, double wire, pipe insulation, paving stones, rubber mats & curtains

This message has been edited by Colin on 09-03-2001 at 12:48 PM

Beverly,

I don't know about the power requirements of your particular speakers.

I am currently driving my K-horns with the Antique Sound Labs MGSI15DT-S (switchable between 5wpc triode and 15wpc pentode modes), I think the ASL is a great little amp!

I am "upgrading" to the Decware Zen SV83M monoblocks (tomorrow I hope!). I have high expectations for the Zen monoblocks and I will be giving them a good 30 day workout to see if they will replace the ASL integrated amp.

I'll keep you updated!

(BTW there is a link on the Decware site to speakers being used with Zen amps, you can look here to see if yours are included and what the owner(s) say) Zen speaker database

------------------

Ed W

I like the Monarchy SM70 very much, I am definitely NOT getting rid of it as it is probably the best sounding SS amp I have had in my system . I am sure there are pros and cons to both SS and to tubes, but I am looking for "something more" out of the tube amps that I have tried anyway (Jolida 801A and the ASL MGSI15DT-S).

I was ready to buy a 2nd SM70 to monoblock them but then I decided the give tubes another shot. I went with the ASL because of reviews and recommendations.

I almost bought a pair of Wright 2A3s but MGSI15DT-S I decided to give the Zen SVM83Ms a shot since they have a 30 day $$ back trial period (same as the Monarchy had).

I am about to quit "amp hopping" and settle down with 1 (or 2) I will end up with the Monarchy for SS, we'll see on the tubes!

Maybe I should start a new thread...can we ever own enough amps?? cwm12.gif LOL!

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 09-04-2001 at 04:54 PM

Beverly-I use the ASL MG-SI15DT with Altec 605As. A great sounding amp and at our Chicago horn club meeting it held it's own with some much more expensive tube gear. However the thing does run out of gas trying to get real loud, it gets pretty loud but not real loud. LSs are about 6db more efficient than 605s though, the little ASL should work very well with them. I heard the Zen down in Decware's Peoria shop, came home and bought the ASL. What's wrong with the Lowthers, those are real good speakers. Personally I think Lowthers and LSs share pretty much the same weaknesses. A friend here in Chicago had Medallions and Hedlunds (I forget which drivers but the Medallion had the BIG Alnico magnets and the Hedlund the small Alnicos) and drove them to pretty loud levels with a homemade amp with 45s that had to put out all of 1.5 watts a channel. What amp are you using now with the Lowthers? If you like the amp on your Lowthers it should certainly work well with LSs.

Y'all are making me nervous now, with your posts about the Zen.

Tom, may I ask what you didn't like about the Zen? Was it the low power rating or was it the sound or both? Which model did you listen to and which speakers? I would assume that you listened in Decware's listening room...the amp should have been at its best...

------------------

Ed W

Edster---Yes, I heard the Zen in Decware's listening room (which is VERY small) over some horns Steve made and some small direct-radiators. The amp didn't sound bad or anything, it just didn't push any buttons, I had no emotional reaction to it. And I'm looking for emotion in a hi-fi, that's why I like horns.

quote:

I have high expectations for the Zen monoblocks and I will be giving them a good 30 day workout to see if they will replace the ASL integrated amp.

edster, hold on to your receipt. Steve will take it back, although I had some problems getting him to give me my money back quickly.

Colin-High frequency perception is strongly correlated to age. A 25 yr old male has better mid/HF perception than a 40yr old female.

The loss in mid/HF perception is very unfortunate. A 10-20db loss above 6000Hz is normal for males over the age of 60. Rudy Bozak once told me that the real reason he built loudspeakers with tweeter arrays was to allow grampa to "pump an extra 20W into the high end of the spectrum". I think he was just joking.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 09-06-2001 at 05:28 AM

Hello to all Klipschorn Admirers.

I write for the webzine Stereo Times and have been using my Decware SE84C to drive my 1993 Klipschorn for about half a year now. After reading the discussions in this forum, I think a more detailed perspective on the Zen amp driving the K-horn is warranted. I shall soon be reporting on my findings with the Zen amp once I am done with my current projects.

K-horn admirers are all welcome to assess my recent K-horn review and readers' feedbacks by visiting our website at www.stereotimes.com .

Happy Listening!

C.S.

Mr. Soo!

Welcome aboard!

Loved your article and booked marked Stereo Times to read more of your stuff in the future - let us know when ever you publish something ...

------------------

horns, tubes, subs, leather couch & female vocalists

Hello Mr. Soo,

Welcome to the group!

I am also looking forward to your review of the Zen amp with the Klipschorns. I read your review of the K-horns this month with much interest. I also have been using a Monarchy SM-70 to drive my K-horns, and I have just purchased a pair of Decware Zen SV83M monoblocks for evaluation.

------------------

Ed W

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Colin & edster00,

Stereo Times just posted my findings of the sound of

the Klipschorns as driven by a pair of Audio Note's Quest 300B single-ended, directly heated, triode monoblock amplifier.

You are welcome to see if it sounds like something that

may interest you, at www.stereotimes.com . I have a

few equipment to write about before getting to the

Decware SE84C.

Happy Listening.

C.S.

very interesting, thank you, I especially like the comparsions to other peices of equipment, I certainly agree that many tweaking audiophiles are tempted "enough to disregard all established personal standards in favor of" tubed amps ...

------------------

horns & subs; lights out & tubes glowing

• 2 years later...

I've had three Decware amps, and still have two.

I bought the twenty-seventh he sold nearly seven years ago, and then had it upgraded (for free) to "Revision A" (he now sells the "C" version). I then bought a Select amp, which I LOVED, had for three years, but sold because I had also bought his Radial speakers, and felt that I needed just a little more power. . . . So before Christmas I bought his EL34 Monoblocks and sold the Select. I LOVE the monoblocks, they have that clarity and precision that I love in the Select, and a bit of EL34 warmth, and drive my Radials (which are the gem of my system) excellently.

I'm a Decware lover and loyal customer!