RSW-15 subwoofer cable help

--udson

Hi guys,

I'd like to get ready for my RSW-15. What kind of cable do I need? The specs say "line level RCA phono jacks."

When looking for cables and some info, I found this tidbit:

"Typically, powered subwoofers will come equipped with either a single RCA connector, or double RCA connectors. However, both connections typically only require a mono (single) connection. Therefore, if you have both right and left inputs, a single cable connected to the "left" input will probably work just fine.

However (you knew it couldn't just be that simple, right?) you can get anywhere from a 3dB to 10 dB gain from your subwoofer by plugging into both stereo inputs. To plug into both inputs with a single cable, simply purchase our Ultimate Y-Splitter Cable along with your subwoofer cable."

So firstly, do I need only to plug in a single cable? And is it worthwhile then, as suggested above, to get a splitter and plug into both inputs for better performance? And is there any reason to go for more expensive cables? Any suggestions as to where to shop and for what brand/model?

As a side note, why does the sub have outputs? Is this to double with another sub or something?

Thanks for the help!

][udson

• 2 weeks later...

technically, you should just use a single cable from your pre/pro/receiver's LFE (or sub) out. unless you'll be running the sub at full output already (which you won't be doing!), the sub's output can be adjusted with the sub's volume knob. a splitter is unnecessary.

sometimes a splitter may help overcome the "input level too low to turn on the sub automatically" problem. but there's no good reason to use the sub's AUTO function; just leave it ON all the time.

Actually (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the amp uses the same ammount of power when it's on "on" or "auto". The amp stays powered up all the time in either mode but the input portion of the amp shuts off when there is no signal. This makes sure the sub is dead quiet when there's no signal.

----------------

On 6/1/2005 9:28:09 AM CECAA850 wrote:

Actually (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the amp uses the same ammount of power when it's on "on" or "auto". The amp stays powered up all the time in either mode but the input portion of the amp shuts off when there is no signal. This makes sure the sub is dead quiet when there's no signal.

----------------

yeah, that's what deon from klipsch said in the sub forums recently. the amp never turns off when it's plugged in, whether set to AUTO or ON, so power consumption is not an issue.

(the energy savings would be be minimal, anyway, no?) 1.gif