Conventional driver used as a horn compression driver?

Can a conventional driver, i.e. Fostex FE103, be effectively used as compression horn driver?

What if you mounted it in a small, sealed cabinet, cut a slot in the motor board for it to fire thru, then mounted a homemade horn lense to it?

Klipsch uses conventional drivers as compression drivers for their basshorns. I wonder if it would work for a midrange. I have 4 unused FE103's. No I don't feel like building another set of backloaded horns. Frontloaded horns is more the flavor of the day.

Andy

I cannot speak of the Fostex, however, it is quite common that cone drivers be used in horns of various frequency ranges.

The use of a back-chamber is required, although it need not be sealed. There are even horn designs that feed horns from both the front and the rear of the cone.

The use of compression drivers for horns is usually an efficiency and durability concern, and the ability to deal with harsh(er) environments is a bonus.

DM2.gif

• Like 1

A 'dome tweeter'Isnt that much different to a compression driver really. Both are a small radiating diaphragm.

Im guessing it wil work in the midrange but the HF wont work so well because horns are designed for a matching horn assembly that continues on the horn flare as started inside the compression driver.

Although I dont like AA,theres some good posters there

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=75745&highlight=dome+horn&r=&session=

Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice ( M ) on September 09, 2004 at 06:10:28

In Reply to: Re: midrange domes posted by weltersys on September 08, 2004 at 22:58:47:

If you take a look at a typical horn driver you'll see that they usually are domes. However, as weltersys notes you can't just slap a horn in front of a dome and have it work. Thy fly in the ointment is usually the need for a phasing plug to equalize path lengths, without which the HF response won't be there.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?forum=hug&searchtext=dome+horn

That depends on the shape of the horn. Usually round horns (like the Osiris) use round throat openings, rectangular use a rectangular opening. It also depends on whether it is full or high-range or bass only (i.e., the desired bandpass).

DM2.gif

JBL has some models using a cone midrange compression driver. They are supposed to be very good. Used for live sound, they purportedly are very HiFi like. I would like to hear some.

Or some of their ScreenArray models, using 6.5 inch speakers on a horn as mids.

You know, the other company that makes systems for movie theaters. 2.gif

Marvel

There is some precedent for this.

Bruce Edgar used a conventional JBL midrange driver for his tractrix midrange. Response was pretty ragged at first. Then he added a spacer doenut made of a Scotchbrite pad. I expect this acted as a bit of an acoustic resistance.

One British design was the Impulse. It used a conventional midrange driver on a midrange horn. Perhaps the review is something I should post for "weekend" reading.

Gil

----------------

On 5/19/2005 6:22:47 PM Klipschguy wrote:

I want it to be full range (F3 of about 150Hz would be nice, highs to about 5000Hz, if possible). I was thinking about using a metal manifold in the throat region, then using wood panels to flare out the horn.

Andy

----------------

Andy, why not stick with wood the whole way? Metal is problematic with sound in that it has a tendancy to ring and/or display resonances when subjected to vibration.

I would just go with a rectangle all the way and make the throat as close to the size of the cone as possible without unbaffling it. See the Altec A-7 (VOT) for an example.

Also check out some of Bruce Edgars horns (amongst others) for examples.

DM2.gif

Oh,midrange,thats much more simpler. Choose flare type or combination of flare types,maximum physical size and in particular mouth size and slice it with MDF or similar with a hornresp modeled driver(remembering that hornresp has a early upper cutof)

towers-****-shot1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/adrian_mack/homepage.html

http://hem.passagen.se/sajberrapid

http://www.volvotreter.de