Bigger not always better...

Black7

This note may come off as mindless chatter but I wanted to share a recent experience with this group....

Buying speakers is difficult -

And when you are unable to audition, it becomes a crap shoot. I don't have access to a dealer so I have to buy based on feedback / reviews and other less than reliable means. First off, I'm relatively new to the Klipsch scene and have enjoyed building and upgrading my modest little system over the past 2 years.

I started with KG 3.5's in a 2 channel setting and then added KG 1.2's to the rear and a KV2 center.

I recently purchased a pair of KG 4.5's (allowing me to move the 3.5's to the rear), and a KV3 centre.

What I have found is that the 4.5's are too much speaker for my room - the 3.5's were much better matched to my 14' x 16' room. I know if I had a larger room, I could take advantage of the 4.5's - looks like I need to upgrade my home. Anyway, I now wonder where some of you are putting the larger series speakers -obviously, you have more space than I and, as everyone knows, Klipsch is not a 5.5 driver kind of company. In my greed for bigger, I overlooked the obvious......

First, not a mindless observation at all.

Second, like many Forum members, apparently your ear is v. sensitive to changes.

Third, I suggest you give the new set up more time. Long time ago I sold speakers as a part-time job and found that most often listeners liked best whatever sounded similar to what they already owned (including Bose junk). The ear/mind seems to appreciate familiarity first. You may grow to like the 4.5 over the 3.5 after some time. Small model no. change, but different woofers, efficiency, horn (exp. vs. tractix), crossover point, and maybe more. A lot of change there.

BTW, if you haven't already, re-calibrate sound levels across the system to compensate for the efficiency change.

Let us know how they sound after more listening. Perhaps for that room the 4.5's have to go, or they may end up as the new fronts too.

Rob

• Like 1

Not an uncommon observation, I think the previous poster struck the nail squarely on the head. Perhaps a bit of acclimation period might be in order. Our ears get used to things sounding 'the same', and variation from that is not always good. When I recently moved my Cornwalls from my farm home to the city, I actually put them in a better room- it just took moving the system three times to get satisfied with it. Your's might be a slight positioning problem. Although they are quite similar maybe the new KG's need to be pulled 2 inches from the wall, or something like that.

Experiment, but above all have fun. Report back please.

Michael

I agree with all posted sometimes acclimation does take time, as does figuring out the best placement for you set up. Give them sometime and enjoy the experimentation process, unless they absolutely offend your senses it is very likely you will find a solution. Have you properly calibrated your set up with an spl meter and a set up disk? IMO that has a tremendous effect on what you hear. You may in fact have to temper you mains slightly to achieve a good balance. Enjoy and keep us posted.