RF-3 Large or Small?

malechi

I run my RF-7's in the small mode for HT with an x-over of 60Hz. Prior to that , in the same system I had a pair of RF-5's in their place. Same receiver, same x-over, same room, properly calibrated with AVIA and an SPL meter, blah blah blah. Some would think that the sound would be the same, not so. Both speakers will reach well below the crossover however the difference in the fullness of sound , as a prev. poster had alluded to was substantial. Also, bear in mind that a crossover is not a brick wall where 60Hz will play and 59Hz is silent. Your speakers are still producing sound (audibly) well below the crossover point. If your system sounds better to you with the speakers set on large (with everything calibrated correctly) then that's where it should be set, end of discussion. My thoughts and my system are irrelevant. Carl

Would you guys recommend a 40 hz crossover with the RF-35's or would a 60 hz crossover likely be better? How flat are the RF-35's down to 40 hz? I've heard you get useable output down to 30 hz with them so I assumed they would be flat down to 40 but I could be wrong.

----------------

On 5/25/2005 8:51:59 AM Drew in the desert wrote:

This is the article I was referring to:

I find it a bit more convincing than the other "large vs. small" articles out there.

----------------

That's an excellent article and makes a lot of sense. And he's not telling everyone to universally follow those rules, since what may actually work best will depend on your equipment. So that's where ultimately your own ears should be your guide.