Scott 299B has arrived

Woodog

Thank you Texas42... it arrived today undamaged and beautiful.

I have it playing on the first set of 'real' speakers I ever owned, Technics SB-5000's (at the office, where it was shipped). smoooooooooooooooooooooth and oh so sweet. Can't wait to hear it on the big 'ole horns!

new toy! new toy! new toy!

woohoo! 9.gif

Forrest (audioholic)

----------------

On 5/26/2005 2:48:54 PM NOSValves wrote:

Woodog has a 299B with a complete NOS Valve job. That is one sweet 299B.

Woodog if Taxes42 didn't include bias instructions let me know I have the instructions with pictures I can email you.

Craig

----------------

Thanks, Craig. Texas42's a class act... not only did he include a wonderful custom oak case built by forum member Arfz28, but he also sent an operating manual and everything you sent him regarding the bias settings.

He even sent the cardboard wrapping on which you wrote:

"Reseat all tubes before you turn it on. Do not change location of 7189 or 6bl8's EVER. " 1.gif

So, I won't, EVER! Promise!

Woodog

----------------

On 5/26/2005 3:20:32 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 5/26/2005 2:48:54 PM NOSValves wrote:

Woodog has a 299B with a complete NOS Valve job. That is one sweet 299B.

Woodog if Taxes42 didn't include bias instructions let me know I have the instructions with pictures I can email you.

Craig

----------------

Thanks, Craig. Texas42's a class act... not only did he include a wonderful custom oak case built by forum member Arfz28, but he also sent an operating manual and everything you sent him regarding the bias settings.

He even sent the cardboard wrapping on which you wrote:

"Reseat all tubes before you turn it on. Do not change location of 7189 or 6bl8's EVER. "
1.gif

So, I won't, EVER! Promise!

Woodog

----------------

Yup he is a great guy !

Craig

No doubt Texas42 is a class act, packs equipment perfectly for safe delevery too your door and is a pleasure to do business with. You need too get some horns for that 299b you will be amazed with the sound. Make sure you keep it biased its very easy too do with Craigs rebuild job and instuctions.Enjoy you venture into tubes.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a couple of weeks since the 299B arrived, and once I got it home I disconnected my Scott 355/208 combo and fired it up with the Khorns. It was like a different child from the same set of parents, with a personality all its own. I was hooked! Plus, the wonderful case made by arfz28 makes it much more visually appealing.

The sound is more forward and animated with an airy shimmer. The kid noticed it immediately. He says that the highs were clearer with sparkle and the lows were darker, and that the music has more detail and presence in the room than the 355/208. I just asked him for one word he said fuller.

I cant tell what type of 12ax7s are in the 299B, but I knew that I have a good set of 4 Telefunken 12ax7s in the 355, so I decided to roll them in to see what the result would be. It was certainly noticeable (and pleasant), but Im glad that I had them about and didnt have to acquire them at current ebay prices to try this experiment since the change was not that pronounced! I listened to them for a couple of days and then the Teles went back in the 355 and the no-name 12ax7s went back into the 299B where theyve been ever since. I might get some JJs at some point since they were mentioned in a very positive light in other threads, but I dont know. Well see what happens when I get more play money.

I do like the loudness contour of the 355 better than the 299B, but lately Ive found that leaving everything set flat works just fine for me.

One of the reasons I went after the 355 for my first foray into tubes was the fact that I enjoy listening to several radio stations, and it seemed like a good choice at the time since it had the tuner built in. Plus, I didnt think 17 watts would be enough power (I was WRONG!) However, the 355 has proved less than satisfactory since an outside antennae is not an option for me and the 355s tuner just doesnt do the best job at pulling in WKYU-FM, the NPR station that I listen to the most. I now use the tuner section of the H/K 430 that I scored for my kid to drive his Heresys with. It is not as open a sound as the 355, but it is very VERY nice none-the-less. It pulls in all the stations I wish to listen to with great clarity, separation, and, most importantly, lack of static. The lack of static part makes me very happy.

So the 299B has replaced my 355/208 combo as my amp of choice for the Klipschorns, and the 355/208 has gone into service for the kids room where he has Tannoys and Heresys run in parallel. He definitely likes the 355 better than the H/K 430 (DUH!) so everyone is happy here. The Tannoys pretty much exist in this arrangement to provide more thump in the bass, since the inequality in efficiency doesnt allow them to speak as aggressively as the Heresys. Truth be told, those Tannoys need a much larger space than we have to sing. They are really a fine speaker with incredible imaging and gorgeous walnut cabinets.

Im already thinking about keeping the 208 power amp and getting a Juicy Music Merlin to drive it, and selling the 355. Its a shame that I cant just go into a hi-fi store and listen to these different topologies and make up my mind that way.

Thanks to Texas42 for a great deal! The 299B (NosValves rebuild) is a really sweet beast. A definite keeper!

Woo

Woo,

The 299B is a solid 20 watt amplifier and I've said this around here many time. Its over all tone and character make it my absolute favorite EL84/7189 vintage amp.

If you can do some mild soldering I could give you some instructions on how to run the front end of the 299B to drive the 208 power amplifier. Fairly simple modification and some load resistors on the output of the 299B.

Craig