Best Bass "sound" KLF30 vs KLF20 vs Cornwall vs KG5.5

jwc

If bass is what you are after then get some vintage Cerwin Vega D-8's or D-9's! or some JBL L-300's, if you want subwoofer quality bass try a pair of vintage Polk Audio RTA-12C's or equivalent SDA series.

Or you could use the Cornscala top end with a JBL 2235H or other woofer to get more/lower output.

I could best all the bass responses of the above speakers with a pair of VIFA 10" P25WO's in a proper cabinet though, they have an FS of like 16-18Hz.

My vote goes to the Cornwall, I have not heard the KLF-20's or 30's, but I have heard the 5.5's & RF-7's. I am a Heritage guy what can I say! I'm biased.

----------------

On 6/3/2005 1:11:33 PM Frzninvt wrote:

If bass is what you are after then get some vintage Cerwin Vega D-8's or D-9's! or some JBL L-300's, if you want subwoofer quality bass try a pair of vintage Polk Audio RTA-12C's or equivalent SDA series.

Or you could use the Cornscala top end with a JBL 2235H or other woofer to get more/lower output.

I could best all the bass responses of the above speakers with a pair of VIFA 10" P25WO's in a proper cabinet though, they have an FS of like 16-18Hz.

My vote goes to the Cornwall, I have not heard the KLF-20's or 30's, but I have heard the 5.5's & RF-7's. I am a Heritage guy what can I say! I'm biased.

----------------

You are thinking like me now. Have you heard the JBL 2235? Was curious how they sound. Your input is noted but I am looking for something to integrate into a Klipsch Heritage like speaker. I know of plenty of things out there that would take my roof off. I have had my eye on some other woofer options though. Will look into what you mentioned for curiosity sake.

I am assuming the dual woofer specs allow them to possibly be integrated with some of the existing klipsch networks requiring minimal modification. Haven't gone into detail thought on this yet because I first want to know peoples opinions of what they think the best bass sounding speaker from Klipsch besides the Khorn. Cornwall vote for you. :) I myself am a happy Cornwaller/Cornscaler. My vote doesn't count.

Vote:

CW-3, KLF30-1 ½, KLF20-1½, KG5.5-1

jc

According to maces chart (great!), KLF 30 mid bass will sound recessed, laid-back, compared to bump of Cornwall, ideally both could be flatter, I do know the Corn-Scalla is based on the simple Cornwall bass, not the KLF series10.gif

• 2 months later...

I have to say I like the 20's bass better, more musical and more tight. But then again the 30's have more overall output. I would love to hear some Epic CF-4's the bass is supposed to be just insane! "Subwoofer level"

Marems, I know I've been a bit negative today regarding CF-4 crossovers, but it doesn't take away from the bass performance. Here's some measurements I took in my listening room comparing a CF-4 to a Klipsch RW-12 last December...

CF-4_RW-12.jpg

They are down about 5 db at 22 hz from their performance at their rated 33 hz, which is very impressive, IMO. I didn't show the graph, but with corner placement, it's only down about 3 db at 22 hz or so. They are powerful performers for movies, for certain.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 5:53:10 PM marems wrote:

I have to say I like the 20's bass better, more musical and more tight. But then again the 30's have more overall output. I would love to hear some Epic CF-4's the bass is supposed to be just insane! "Subwoofer level"

----------------

Vote:

CW-3, KLF30-1 ½, KLF20-2½, KG5.5-1

jc

I've had Cornwalls and Klf-20's. At low volumes the CW is the best. Maybe the best ever. The CW's just fill a room even at low levels. If you want hard hitting, hard rocking, room shaking bass, Then I would give the nod to the KLF-20's. They would absolutely shake the walls. I didn't know what people were talking about when they said bass impact until the 20's. BUT, the Klf's like some volume before they begin to sing. Maybe that is my amp.(Rotel)

----------------

On 8/9/2005 8:03:21 PM kohill wrote:

I've had Cornwalls and Klf-20's. At low volumes the CW is the best. Maybe the best ever. The CW's just fill a room even at low levels. If you want hard hitting, hard rocking, room shaking bass, Then I would give the nod to the KLF-20's. They would absolutely shake the walls. I didn't know what people were talking about when they said bass impact until the 20's. BUT, the Klf's like some volume before they begin to sing. Maybe that is my amp.(Rotel)

----------------

will give a split vote

I'm not sure why I didn't include the CF-4 in this roundup. Not many people speak of this speaker.

Vote:

CW-3 1/2, KLF30-1 ½, KLF20-2, KG5.5-1

I never would have bought the KLF-30's if I hadn't been thoroughly impressed with their performance, particularly in the bass department. They have a massive slam and plenty of low bass extension. Many times I forget to turn on my sub amp and never notice that its gone. A VERY marked improvement over the RF-3's I was previously using. And, I am not so sure that the KLF series is too picky about placement; they work very well in my room, which is not very acoustically friendly.

I've never heard the KG-5.5, CF-4, KLF-20, or Cornwalls, though, so it is not technically fair for me to vote... If it matters, I have had experience with the KG-2.5's, which can sound pretty good if placed properly in a good corner.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 11:57:56 PM tpg wrote:

I never would have bought the KLF-30's if I hadn't been thoroughly impressed with their performance, particularly in the bass department. They have a massive slam and plenty of low bass extension. Many times I forget to turn on my sub amp and never notice that its gone. A VERY marked improvement over the RF-3's I was previously using. And, I am not so sure that the KLF series is too picky about placement; they work very well in my room, which is not very acoustically friendly.

I've never heard the KG-5.5, CF-4, KLF-20, or Cornwalls, though, so it is not technically fair for me to vote... If it matters, I have had experience with the KG-2.5's, which can sound pretty good if placed properly in a good corner.

----------------

Dude, that's a vote

Vote:

CW-3 1/2, KLF30-2 ½, KLF20-2, KG5.5-1

Darn, is it too late to vote. I admit bias because I've never heard the others. Having purchased CW's for my first Klipsch ever, I have been so happy that I've surrounded myself with an entire 5.1 CW system. I send my LFE channel to my LF mains as well. The Cornwalls and ksw12 complement each other very well.

Put down another CW vote, although I'd like to take some KLF's for a spin. My center right now is KLFC7- anyone close to Indy have a pair of 20's or 30's?

Michael

----------------

On 8/10/2005 9:05:54 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Darn, is it too late to vote. I admit bias because I've never heard the others. Having purchased CW's for my first Klipsch ever, I have been so happy that I've surrounded myself with an entire 5.1 CW system. I send my LFE channel to my LF mains as well. The Cornwalls and ksw12 complement each other very well.

Put down another CW vote, although I'd like to take some KLF's for a spin. My center right now is KLFC7- anyone close to Indy have a pair of 20's or 30's?

Michael

----------------

Michael...Man, you just now voting....how is this? You are usually all over this stuff.

I was sure you would vote Corn.

I'm quite pleased with the response for the KLF-20. My future projects may incorporate those woofers. However, I'm lovin the Corn following.

Vote:

CW-4 1/2, KLF30-2 ½, KLF20-2, KG5.5-1