AudioCap PPT VS. Kimber Kap

Guest Anonymous

I will second what Dean said. I have replaced the Solen, Kimber and a couple others in a few networks I have built(just to experiment)with the Thetas and there is a world of difference. To take things a step ahead, Hovland caps beat them all IMHO(including Auricap), and that is what I have been using in my Khorns for sometime as I am very pleased with the results. Many may say that the Hovland's are not that much better or are overpriced or whatever. I assure you that this is nowhere near the case. In my ALK "A" Types, I was astonished at the improvement in every area, and believe me I did not think this would be the case until I actually heard it for myself.

Jordan, did you have Thetas in place at one time to cover the 40uF primary? Considering the very high quality of the Theta, it's interesting that you would hear a noticeable difference with the Hovlands. One thing is for sure, the ALK is very responsive to parts changeouts, much more so than than the Type A or AA.

----------------

On 5/29/2005 1:59:46 AM DeanG wrote:

One thing is for sure, the ALK is very responsive to parts changeouts, much more so than than the Type A or AA.

----------------

Dean -

Do you believe that Al K's extreme slope crosssovers are also very responsive to Cap changes? Do you know what brand Al uses in his ES versions?

Thanks.

Hey Dean,

Yes, I also used Thetas up front. The way I see it, if you are going to use them, use them throughout. I think they make a HUGE difference in the primary position. I do not feel you get the full benefit unless you use them in that spot as well. I thought the Thetas were very nice, don't get me wrong. But after breakin with my setup I felt the Hovlands were a little more open and slightly less edgy. Mids and top end just seem to shine through with no effort whatsoever. Very natural sounding to me.

Ray,

I believe Mr.K uses strictly Solens in all his networks. Don't hold me to that though. Also, I do not see why the ES networks would not be just as responsive to this component change, possibly even more so. Just my .02.

I finally got around to building mine. Not as pretty as yours, just raw birch. I'm not really done with them. Since deciding I like taps 4 and 0, I'm going to go back and solder the connections to the autoformer. Still need to solder some of the crimps too. Solen film/foils, and Auricaps was what I could afford, so that's the way I went.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=37153&

post-3205-1381926617786_thumb.jpg

I think it sounds great, I'm pretty darn happy.

4 & 0 sounds "right". It does a better job of integrating the tweeter and squawker. I agree with your previous post in the other thread about the 10AWG air core - huge improvement. I was unduly surprised!

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=37118&

You are right as usual Dean, is'nt that coil something? I did not want to say a whole lot about it before because I thought it may just be my imagination playing tricks on me2.gif. But I think the difference(positive of course)is quite clear. Also, nice having more room to work with seperate boards eh?

Dean,

I like the way you have the transformer taps connected with shove-ons. I have always been temped to do that rather then a wire and plug one each tap, but the idea conflicts with the fact that two wires are needed on 5 and 0 to connect to other stuff, like the rest of the netwrok! I can't quite tell form the pictures how you got around that.

AL K.

----------------

On 5/29/2005 11:29:32 AM raypenn wrote:

Do you believe that Al K's extreme slope crosssovers are also very responsive to Cap changes? Do you know what brand Al uses in his ES versions?

----------------

Solen - at least in my set.

Dean said: "I agree with your previous post in the other thread about the 10AWG air core - huge improvement. I was unduly surprised!"

Dean, I'm suprized at you! Who would have thought that WIRE would make a difference?!9.gif

DM2.gif