lp to cd help

i am putting a few lp's onto cd for a friend. my desktop is apart for upgrades currently so i am using my laptop. the sound card is Avance AC97. There is no line in so i am using the mic in from my receiver. I can't seem to keep the levels low enough to prevent overmodulation. is it possible to record directly from the tt to the hard drive by passing the receiver? and if i can do that will it help the problem?

----------------

On 5/28/2005 9:13:17 AM 3dzapper wrote:

You would loose the RIAA equalization circuit.

Rick

----------------

is that a bad thing? can that be done manually? or should i just wait till i get the desktop back up?

it has a Sound Blaster Pro something card.

The preamp out of your reciever is at a level that is too high for the mic imput to handle.

Yes, even the SB may be better than the built in audio chip on the laptop, but not necessarily.

If you are in a hurry, you can take some resistors and pad the level down for the mic input. This can actually work quite well. You need to drop the level about 40db. That would probably get you into a range that you could then adjust more easily.

Do you know the mic. input impedance? I can generalize, and you can get reasonably acceptable results with the following, but details would help.

in ----R1--------R2------ out

/

/

R3

/

GND (shield)

R1= 50k ohms

R2= 1.8K ohms

R3= 200 ohms

1/4 watt will work fine. This a 40 db pad for one channel. You would have to wire two up (left and right), so you only need 6 resistors and the cable. Radio Shack parts would work fine. Get a 1/8" stereo to roc cable and have at it. This is around 2K output impedance, which may still be too high for the mic input, but a lot of cheap sound cards have a pretty high in;ut impedance.

This is approximate, but should work okay.

Marvel

----------------

On 5/28/2005 9:19:18 AM r.cherry wrote:

----------------

Rick

----------------

is that a bad thing? can that be done manually? or should i just wait till i get the desktop back up?

it has a Sound Blaster Pro something card.

----------------

That is a very bad thing! You need it in there.

First, you should just turn the line in volume way down in your software settings and make sure you don't have mic boost enabled. (sometimes you might have to click on special things to be able to fully control the mic input on your pc).

----------------

Rick
----------------

There are a few programs out there that replace the RIAA eq. A program I use is called Magix audio cleaning lab. $40 at best buy...you simply tell it that you are coming direct from your tt and it automatically compensates...works pretty slick...

----------------

On 5/28/2005 8:52:30 PM DrWho wrote:

First, you should just turn the line in volume way down in your software settings and make sure you don't have mic boost enabled. (sometimes you might have to click on special things to be able to fully control the mic input on your pc).

----------------

Thank you DrWho, all of those controls are as low as possible, at least i think so...no boost for sure and the mic is set as low as possible. i will look around again and see if imissed anything.

----------------

On 5/28/2005 10:19:05 PM fletcherkane wrote:
There are a few programs out there that replace the RIAA eq. A program I use is called Magix audio cleaning lab. $40 at best buy...you simply tell it that you are coming direct from your tt and it automatically compensates...works pretty slick...

----------------

Thank you i will go see if the local best buy has one. sounds like it is just what i need, that and a special adapter tohook up mic sounds like radio shak again.

thanks

rich