Front three: 3 matching LaScala's or 3 KL-650-THX

kenratboy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, it is a lot of fun and certainly isn't lacking for dynamics.

"The quickness of the bass probably hits you in the chest like a rubber mallet! You don't watch movies, you experience them!"

The EQ helped tighten that up as I was getting some room boom which is helps cut down. As far as experiencing the bass the subs can certainly do that. Just because I am kind of crazy each seat also has two bass shakers installed in it getting the LFE signal (what goes to the ContraBass sub) to really feel the bass hits.

The 'Jack Jack Attack' short on the Incredibles is a great demo for the bass setup. When Jack Jack bursts into flames I hae had several people literally leap out of the seats. Up till that point the shakers hadn't done anything then they come in full bore right there.

Shawn

Under the tv is the 3rd La Scala. For home theater it is fantastic!! for music they overpower my 15 X 15 X 8 living room at loud levels(cannot talk to the person sitting on the couch next to me). At moderate volume levels(you can talk to the person next to you but your talking loud) they sound very good. Also realize to get the best sound from them they need very good equipment and a good size room. My room is too small and 7 foot celings would not help either. If you love live music then they will give you that feeling of being there. If you watch more movies than listen to music then 3 La Scalas is fantastic but if more music you might want to find someone who has a pair of LS and listen to them before you buy some. New they are over $5000 for 3 of them used you could get 3 for $2000 in good shape. Don't rush into buying 3 La Scalas until you have done more research and have heard them there are always some for sell on the forum or ebay.

Xman

post-13699-13819266185324_thumb.jpg

I watch movies 90% of the time and playing music is for someone who wants to hear them. Will a 20x20x7 room be big enough? I do have high end separates, ada, sherbourn, and Mcintosh. I might buy a pair to to listen and maybe resell them or have a pair or 3 kl-650's for sale. That is a big maybe.

----------------

On 7/15/2005 12:12:09 PM JAMESJ wrote:

I watch movies 90% of the time and playing music is for someone who wants to hear them. Will a 20x20x7 room be big enough? I do have high end separates, ada, sherbourn, and Mcintosh. I might buy a pair to to listen and maybe resell them or have a pair or 3 kl-650's for sale. That is a big maybe.

----------------

All our preferences aside...are you happy with your Ultra2 setup? Before you go about swapping out all your electronics and speakers and whatnot, I would suggest you put that time and money into improving your room's acoustics. 20x20 is a nightmare for room modes so the first step would be to get your bass problems sorted out and then go from there.

I don't have any bass problems. I was just wondering how the la scala's would sound. My room can be any size, that is why I asked. It does not have to be a square or rectangle. It can be smaller in the back or front. I am not changing my electronics. Very happy with them. I have been through alot of speakers, amps, and pre's and it has come down to what I have. I a/b'd all of my stuff and kept what I loved. I am really happy with my thx ultra 2's. The best sound for cinema I have heard and I have heard alot, Just not the heritage stuff since I am new to klipsch. I will probably buy a pair of heritage speakers for music just to see what the full horn sound is like. I am not ready to sell my klipsch just yet. There are no room corrections just yet because I have not built my new cinema(2 weeks). I have to agree with about the sound of the ultra 2: You can hit reference levels and it not sounding harsh or fatiguing. Great dynamics and clearity. The resolution is astounding. I don't use them for music, just cinema.

Here are some ratios for the room dimensions:

Height Width Length

1.00 1.14 1.39

1.00 1.28 1.54

1.00 1.60 2.33

You may want to start up another thread if you wanted to get some ideas on dedicated theatre construction. I personally would look into flush mounting all your speakers and perhaps putting your side walls on slants (and perhaps tilting the rear wall back a bit too). As many non-parallel surfaces you can manage the better off you'll be.

Yes I can change any dimensions except the height. I can make it just about any shape too. I will have 6 theater seats with a sony hdtv crt projesctor and hopefully 150 inch screen. Again, depends on height. 7.1 with the ultra 2's. That sherbourn amp is really impressing me, and I have been through alot including krell and Mac. I am keeping my Ultra 2's. Will try the heritage soon though but not as a replacement. I think only one person liked the THx over the La scala's in this thread. I hope they all have actually heard them with the same equipment as the La scala's in the same room. La scala's cost $4000 a pair and the THX cost $2400 a pair. That is quite a difference. they should be better. I know you can get them used but if your patient you can get 50% off or more for the THX stuff as well.

You might want to try it at that size before you go and plan your room around it.

Most say 80 inches is about the limit for a Sony 12xx series. They are limited both in lumens and in focus if you try to push them much beyond that. I ran my 1271 on a 45x80" screen.

I know of guys with dual stacked G90s (the best Sony ever built) that aren't anywhere near 150" screens.

Shawn

When I build my new house next spring, I think I am going to go with the THX Ultra 2 setup for the Theater room. I am going to try to have a real theater room and then have another room for 2 channel music, and I think I will go with La Scala or K Horns in that room. But thats still a ways off, but I think that would give me the best of both worlds :)

OK, but keep in mind your screen brightness is going to get cut in half going to that size. Right now you are probably around 4 ft/lamberts if you have a screen gain of 1. That is assuming the Sony is putting out about 200 ansi lumens which may be a little high depending upon how hard you are driving the CRTs.

Moving to 150" wide screen you will be at about 2 ft/lamberts off the screen.

The SMPTE and THX standards are a minimum of 16 foot lamberts off the screen.

With a CRT you don't have to worry about pixels (though scan lines can be a problem so aim for its sweet spot) so you can sit closer to them. Sit closer to a smaller screen and you will get more brightness and sharpness while still having as big (or bigger) of a viewing angle to the screen.

Anyhow it was just a suggestion, good luck!

Shawn