Klipsch Forte and Forte II

CatManFever

I wish you guys would bring back these speakers in all its glorious form. Maybe in updated electronics and well tested drivers would be nice but leave the beautiful box designs alone. Sigh, they don't mak'em like they use too. I notice your new speakers are all run-of-the-mill type. I want to buy one but they are way too old now. New ones would turn my redc> blood greenc> with envy. Whada 'ya say Klipsch? Let's DO IT!!!

cwm32.gif

This message has been edited by CatManFever on 09-06-2001 at 12:09 AM

You can find some Forte and Forte II speakers in very good condition on www.ebay.com. They still sound great....and would give any "new" speaker a run for it's money. Most of the speakers in my system are 5 - 10 years old and you could never tell from the sound. I would take a used pair of Forte II's over a new pair of KLF 30 or RF 7 in a heartbeat.....just a whole different sound and feeling to the music.

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Thanks, but I checked out Ebay before coming here and currently they don't have any Forte or Forte II for sale. Besides, as good as they are, they are showing their age.

quote:

Originally posted by myram:

You can find some Forte and Forte II speakers in very good condition on
They still sound great....and would give any "new" speaker a run for it's money. Most of the speakers in my system are 5 - 10 years old and you could never tell from the sound. I would take a used pair of Forte II's over a new pair of KLF 30 or RF 7 in a heartbeat.....just a whole different sound and feeling to the music.

I think Klipsch owes it to the Forte's to remanufacturing them. Afterall, it was these speaker IMO that REALLY launched the KLIPSCH name! If anyone remembers the review by Julian Hirsch of STEREO REVIEW (since bought out by the "just glitzy" Sound & Vision rag) in July 1986 who gave it the most glowing review I have EVER read by Mr. Hirsch! It was an INCREDIBLE praise from a man who is very CONSERVATIVE about equipment review. In fact, I have only read maybe 2 other speakers in the many, many years that I have been reading STEREO REVIEW that he gave reviews where he ended with the signature, give-away-I-really-like-it line, which was he, "hated to send the speakers back"! This was ONE OF THEM!!!

Whada'ya say Klispch? Let's DO IT!!!

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake2:

Ditto. I have several pairs of Klipsch speakers (including Fortes), and most are at least 10-14 years old. I'd put them up against the new stuff any day. Buy without fear! (Just check out the seller...)

DD2

cwm32.gif

This message has been edited by CatManFever on 09-06-2001 at 04:49 PM

That's what I don't understand from Klipsch. Why did they quit making them if they were so good? Why the new run-of-the-mill speakers now? These Forte's really got me interested in Klipsch as a speaker company. Now, they just seem like any other speaker manufacturer. The worst of 'em IMO is POLK. Change model no's every year. I don't even pay attention to their ads anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake2:

Cat - I'm curious what "showing their age" means. In other words, what is missing from the original Forte's, that current speakers have, that you are looking for
Smile.gif
?

Also, have you looked at the classifieds on Audiogon? They sometimes show up there, too...

DD2

cwm3.gif

There is a pair of Forte on ebay right now......"buy it now" of $650 with free shipping. They are in oak, and look to be in mint condition with "no showing of age" at all.

Just because a speaker company changes it's designs every few years doesn't mean that the speakers being replaced are bad......it means that thru research the company has learned that to stay competetive it has to change to make money. Most people don't want a 70 lb speaker that takes up a whole corner of your room.....what most people want is a small cube speaker that they can tuck away and forget about....to only hear and not see.

I don't get what you are meaning by "showing it's age" either. I will put my HT setup against anybody's system....and all of my speakers are 5-11 years old with no signs of decline at all.

JMHO

------------------

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

RS HT Gold Interconnects

The speaker auction has ended.

quote:

There is a pair of Forte on ebay right now......"buy it now" of $650 with free shipping. They are in oak, and look to be in mint condition with "no showing of age" at all.

Just because a speaker company changes it's designs every few years doesn't mean that the speakers being replaced are bad......it means that thru research the company has learned that to stay competetive it has to change to make money. Most people don't want a 70 lb speaker that takes up a whole corner of your room.....what most people want is a small cube speaker that they can tuck away and forget about....to only hear and not see.

I don't get what you are meaning by "showing it's age" either. I will put my HT setup against anybody's system....and all of my speakers are 5-11 years old with no signs of decline at all.

JMHO

cwm33.gif

This message has been edited by CatManFever on 09-06-2001 at 05:19 PM

I see what you guys are driving at. It's not the sound I'm complaining about aging, it's the speaker infrastructure itself. Too many years have taken a toll on the speaker materials, unless it is in absolute pristine, MINTc>, museum condition I probably won't show too much interest in it.

quote:

Originally posted by Rob_S:

Here's another endorsement for a pair of 'aged' Quartets that sound as good to my ears as the day I originally auditioned them back in '95.

cwm36.gif

This message has been edited by CatManFever on 09-06-2001 at 04:46 PM

Cat I wouldn't want to ship anything that far.I lived in Pearl City back in the early sixties.Bet things sure have changed.

I have a pair of 1977 Klipschorns that sound great,a pair of 1981 Cornwalls that are wonderful.Cabinets on both aren't "mint",but the sound is.A friend of mine has a pair of mint 1973 Klipschorns that look and sound as "new"and he has played the roof off of his house since getting them in '77.Every day without much slack at all.They are still going strong.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

Well it's obvious from his little sleepy faces and disgusted faces that he really doesn't care what anyone of us has to say.

Here is a tip for ya......Go buy Bose....they are great.cwm43.gif

------------------

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Who are you talk'n too? I replied to your post and consider all answers. Are you reading the web pages with one eye? I even checked Ebay like you said. I did not find the speaker you mentioned, but found out the auction is over, so thanks anyway.

GLAD you mentioned Bose! The only BOSE I have listened to is the (now defunct) 611. It sounded FANTASTIC..... in the Bose DEMO room. Never heard BASS like that. Pretty good. Got me interested in BOSE too, kept in eye on the 611, which is now the 711 (I think). But the darl'n of me eye is still the Klipsch FORTE. BTW, which one sounds better, the ORIGINAL Forte or the Forte II?

quote:

Well it's obvious from his little sleepy faces and disgusted faces that he really doesn't care what anyone of us has to say.

Here is a tip for ya......Go buy Bose....they are great.
cwm43.gif

This message has been edited by CatManFever on 09-07-2001 at 12:09 AM

You better believe it has changed! It's now a full-fledged METROPOLIS! Never liked the area since then. Guess what? I have since found that area has the HIGHEST crime rate of ANY district in the STATE! There's a FACTOID foy' ya! No wonder I never liked it!

Shipping speakers to Hawaii is expensive and adds greatly to the cost of acquiring them.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve P:

Cat I wouldn't want to ship anything that far.I lived in Pearl City back in the early sixties.Bet things sure have changed.

cwm22.gif

This message has been edited by CatManFever on 09-07-2001 at 12:20 AM

When you are talking about quality equipment, age shouldn't be much of a concern as long as they were taken care of by the previous owners. I am currently listening to a 24 year old set of La Scalas. They sound better than most new speakers you will find at any store today, and the definitely sound better than anything Bose ever made, new or old! The Forte falls into the category of "quality product". Don't hesitate buying a used Fort model of any age, as long as it's in good condition.

I have a pair of walnut Fortes that I would be willing to sell. The cabinets are in perfect condition. I have made two modifications: 1)applied some damping material around the tweeter and mid-range horns, and 2)changed the hook-up wire to a high grade copper.

Have not really thought about a price. If you want a picture send me a e-mail

Cat Man---The technology of good speakers hasn't changed appreciably (save the change from field-coil to permanent magnets in the 40s) since the 1930s when guys like Wente, Thuras, Olson, Hilliard, Voight and Lansing, with the resouces of the Phone Company and the radio and motion picture industries behind them, pretty much nailed down the right way to make good speakers. The advances since then have been in making the bad speakers better. Don't worry about age, many high quality speakers from the 1930s are still running well and sounding good. A fella I know recently heard Lansing Iconics from the 1930s and was very impressed! The Klipsch company is now going after the big money, something old PWK evidently wasn't very interested in. There's much more money to be made selling bad small speakers than in good large ones; any good speaker will of neccesity be large.

I agree with you about QUALITY! It always SHOWS, even after many years. As a famous economist once said, "anytime you can get quality for a little more, I say BUY!" My sentiments EXACTLY!

quote:

Originally posted by JMON:

When you are talking about quality equipment, age shouldn't be much of a concern as long as they were taken care of by the previous owners. I am currently listening to a 24 year old set of La Scalas. They sound better than most new speakers you will find at any store today, and the definitely sound better than anything Bose ever made, new or old! The Forte falls into the category of "quality product". Don't hesitate buying a used Fort model of any age, as long as it's in good condition.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm look'n for a MINTc> condition Forte or possibly a Forte II, though have no idea which one is supposed to sound better. BTW, the veneer on yours, is it oiled or laquered? Just curious.

I also may check ec>bc>ac>yc> every once in awhile. I might find what I've been exactly looking for. Also, why did you modify with damping material?

quote:

Originally posted by cadown:

I have a pair of walnut Fortes that I would be willing to sell. The cabinets are in perfect condition. I have made two modifications: 1)applied some damping material around the tweeter and mid-range horns, and 2)changed the hook-up wire to a high grade copper.

Have not really thought about a price. If you want a picture send me a e-mail

This message has been edited by CatManFever on 09-10-2001 at 01:05 AM