How to remove serial # labels from Heritage?

BS Button

Guest Anonymous

BS Button,

First: Remove the staples that hold the label on

Second: Steam the entire label

Third: Peel very slowly and apply heat/steam as needed to melt the glue (I reccomend using a heat gun after the steam has already been applied.)

They should peel off nice and easy after that, then when you put them back on just use a cement and put new staples in. Good Luck!

Best,

George

----------------

On 5/29/2005 11:37:54 PM BS Button wrote:

I'm going to have these re-done and laminate the originals...How do you get them off, without tearing, ripping..etc?

----------------

One of my birch Heresys had a label that had been folded over and creased when it was put on at the factory. I made the mistake of trying to steam it loose and straighten/ re-glue it. I did succeed to a degree, I got it back to a rectangle, but it is obvious it was "re-worked". The finish on the paper will never be the same, after you wet it, and it wants to lift when you start peeling. If you care about your labels, find a way to LEAVE THEM ALONE. That's my opinion based on my personal experience.

I have removed and digitally restored quite a few Heritage labels. When I refurbish a set of Heritage speakers, I do the labels also if they are pretty bad. I use heat and a brand new sharp razor blade. Just start at a corner and keep working the blade ahead at a very low/almost flat angle. Not too flat though or you will slice through the label. Work the blade side to side and keep slowly moving/slicing ahead putting the bulk of the pressure against the wood. Change your blade a time or two if needed. Just go slowly, gently and pay attention to what the paper is doing and you should have no problem. Of course YMMV.

If you want to see an example, do a search under labels or restored khorn labels.