'Life Aquatic with Steve..." dialouge seemed a bit hard to understand.

kenratboy

Was that with the dts track or dolby digital? I had to turn up a little louder than normal to hear everything on the dts track but I haven't tried the DD track yet so maybe it could be one of those flukes like Pirates of the Caribbean where the DD track is better.

Yeah, when I watched The Incredibles, when Helen was trying to radio the tower before the plane was shot down - I could hear her voice PERFECTLY, and the background noise (engines) was perfectly balanced and did not hurt the clarity of the dialouge.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 5:53:37 PM wheelman wrote:

Some movies you have to crank up the volume so you can hear em talking. Then when the action kicks in everyone is saying geeze that's loud could you turn it down. I don't like mixes like that.

----------------

Ummm - those are what we call "dynamic" mixes. It's the whole purpose of having ultra-sensitive speakers and all this outrageously expensive (to most people) gear - so we can experience the full dynamics of the mix...

----------------

On 5/31/2005 5:58:06 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 5/31/2005 5:53:37 PM wheelman wrote:

Some movies you have to crank up the volume so you can hear em talking. Then when the action kicks in everyone is saying geeze that's loud could you turn it down. I don't like mixes like that.

----------------

Ummm - those are what we call "dynamic" mixes. It's the whole purpose of having ultra-sensitive speakers and all this outrageously expensive (to most people) gear - so we can experience the full
dynamics
of the mix...

----------------

No there is a difference between hearing the voice and not hearing a voice then the walls come crashing down. I know what you mean though. Some movies have nice clear vocals and good dynamics. They are the mixes I like. Don't get me wrong I love the slam of a movie it just seems meaningless when you only are slammed when the action kicks in and you don't understand a word their saying any other time. I have my system calibrated also even tried upping the mix on the center a couple of times. Some movies just stink soundwise. I don't experience this alot. For the most part most movies sound great.

I experience the same thing from time to time. I usually just up the center channel gain a little to compensate, real easy to do for me since I can adjust center, sub, and surround levels on the fly from the remote.

As stated some of the DVD mixes are just poorly done!