what should I use for mains?

travisc

I am using Forte II mains, an academy center, now I just came across a pair of heresy for $200. Should I keep the forte mains or rotate them to the rears. I would think the academy would match the fortes better both timbre wise and finish. Pros and cons?

Herseys and fortes are similar the biggest difference is the fortes have a passive radiator which will improve bass response and should present a better soundstage. I believe the horns and woofers are the same (Not 100% sure).

* I never did a side by side comparison of these speakers.

Fortes and heresys are different speakers with a different sound. No components are the same. That said, I still think the heresys would sound fine as surrounds but if you're really into timbre matching, find some quartets or the like instead.

Almost . . . the original Forte shares a mid and horn lens with the Heresy II, but there the shared bits end. I can speak from experience of using original Fortes up front with an Academy at center and original Heresys at the rear. It's okay, better than nothing, noticeably but not annoyingly different, and acceptable but not optimal. I haven't heard KGs, but IIRC the 1.2s are well regarded as surrounds here.

Somthing to consider is that the Academy uses a K-76 tweeter, and so does the Tangent 10. Those can be had for cheap and ought to make a fine small surround for a Forte/Academy setup.

tangent 10, ya I read a post month or so ago about creating academys out of tangent's or something like that. Originaly my plan was for the quartets and will probly stay that way. But the heresy are there for the taking and may play a short term role in ht before I can find some quartets. They really dont pop up in oak oil too frequently.

I have a set of OO quartets that I would sell if I could find a decent set of fairly priced Heresy's. The quartets are in very nice condition, but one speaker has a stripped terminal nut. Other than that they are in tremendous condition. I think that I would do better with a set of Heresy's with my LaScala mains. Let me know if we could work something out. I'd be interested.