Why so many Quintet speakers on eBay?

akirk

I noticed on eBay that there are quite a few Quintet satellite speakers for sale. Where are all of these speakers coming from? I thought that the Quintet system was basically sold as a set, with four satellites and a center channel speaker, and then you bought the subwoofer you wanted separately. On eBay you hardly ever see a set of Quintets, or even a center channel speaker - only the satellites. The ads typically say that they are new in the box with a Klipsch warranty. Can anybody fill me in on what's going on here?

• 2 weeks later...

Some may be new and others may have been used only a few days before the owner(s) decided the Quintets are NOT KLF30's or RF-7's. LOL

I heard some complain the Quintets dont have the BIG output Klipsch claims.The Quintets have a huge output for their size!And cannot compete with large Klipsch speakers.

The Quintets have to be cut around 80Hz,then the mid-bass driver does not work too hard and the overall sound is quite good.And I found the KSW12 to be a great match,I did not like the KSW10(not as defined and lacking the punch I have from the KSW12).

So I would only get Quintets if I could also get a KSW12 for a few bucks more and cut the Quintets at 80Hz.

I have a set of Quintets I used with my PC,sound very good.Needs proper matching sub and placement.

Just dont expect KLF,K-Horn or RF-7 detail or output.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I agree with THEEAR......the quintets sound very good for a small "micro" speaker but they don't have the impact of the larger speakers.

I just finished an install with the Quintet system, KSW-12, and a Denon 1601 and it sounds great. The KSW-12 really works great with these speakers, and the Denon just makes them sound even better. I was suprised at how good the Quintets sounded....but again they don't blow you away like the full size Klipsch speakers do.

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Also, the Quintets have a built in high-pass filter around 100-120hz, so you can send a full spectrum signal to them if you want. In fact, you probably will need to set your mains to large in your receiver and hook them directly to the receiver so you don't double-filter them going through a sub. Then, set the crossover on the sub up around 120hz so you don't miss the bandwidth below where the Quintets drop off.

Myram, how did you set yours up?

DD2

Well now that you mention it......I'm going to have to go back to the persons house and reset the settings. I currently have the receiver set to small all around, and the sub to normal mode. Now that brings up another point......if the Denon 1601's sub crossover point is set to 80 or 100 hz.....then is there a gap between that and the Quintet's 120 hz cut-off?

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Myram the Quintets are cut to prevent bass from damaging the mid-bass unit at high volumes.I too have the Quintets and a KSW12 and when I was using them in my computer sound system I had the sub cut around 100Hz.May be high but blends better with the Quintets.

I used Celeste power amps and a Celeste integrated!It was pure overkill as the Celsete amps cost over ten times the price the quintets cost! LOL

Still the sound was surprising,the Quintets are not harsh at all.Most Klipsch speakers are NOT harsh,just bad amps make them sound that way.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Myram - I believe there would be a gap between the 80hz of the sub and the 100-120 hz of the Quints. Of course, it's a roll off so there is probably some sound in those frequencies getting through. I connected my Dad's front Quints directly to his 1601, and also connected the sub via speaker level to the same binding posts on the 1601. Set the fronts to large, and put the xover on the sub at 120.

But now I wonder about the rears. If they are set to small, and only the below-80hz is sent to the larges in front, then we'll be missing the 80-100/120 in the rears as well. Hmmm, how to handle that?

DD2