AL3's for La Scalas

----------------

On 6/9/2005 2:36:28 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Bob,

I'm courious where you are getting the little inductors. I wouldn't want to use them myself, I'm just courious. BTW: Have you investigated the effects of that screw you are using to mount them? I always advocted doing away with the screw, especially the steel ones.

Al K.

----------------

Al,

I have UT build them for me. I use a stainless screw that does not effect them at all.

Bob

Can anyone post a photo of an original AL?

Mine are from '84 and they don't look anything like what I've seen posted. I assume mine are original, but I don't know.

Mine appear to have four transformers and a large (about 4-5 inch long) can type cap in the center of the board (among other things).

James

----------------

On 6/9/2005 8:24:08 PM jheis wrote:

Can anyone post a photo of an original AL?

Mine are from '84 and they don't look anything like what I've seen posted. I assume mine are original, but I don't know.

Mine appear to have four transformers and a large (about 4-5 inch long) can type cap in the center of the board (among other things).

James

----------------

James,

I have seen three different designs that were called the AL. I don't think that they ever standardized the design on that one than then there was (briefly) the AL-2 and then the AL-3. One of the early AL designs even had the zener diode tweeter protection like the AA had.

Bob Crites

Al,

Yes, give it a try. When you select a stainless screw to use, take a strong magnet with you to try it at the place that sells the screws. When you find one totally uneffected by the magnet, that one will also be good to use in inside an air coil inductor. The ones I use do not effect the inductance at all and I can read down to tenths of a uH.

Bob

Bob,

Have you monitored the "Q" with the stainless steel screw. The permeability of the metal may be just right to nulify the shorted turn effect keeping the inductance stable but stanless steel isn't a very good conductor. That should causes losses in the eddy currents. That's why I have seen brass screws used. Brass is largely copper and a better conductor but has a positive permiability and may actually raise the inductance but at lower loss.

Al K.

"...I did an A/B with them and the ALK for some people a couple of years ago. The opinion was that the AL-3 wasn't worth changing."

I somehow missed this comment on the first pass. I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, but how in the world did you guys come to that conclusion? Not only are the circuits completely different, but the quality of the parts are in different classes. In the comparison, I'm sure they sounded pretty different, and certainly different enough that it seems unlikely there would be complete consensus among the group. I trade email with a lot of folks, and I only need three fingers to count those who prefer a stock Klipsch network to the ALK.

EDIT: I need at least two more fingers. I forgot about Randy Bey and John Albright, and I'm not even sure if John has a clear preference.