Speaker protection?

Metal

I listen to loud rock through my pair of RB-75. I've always blown speakers on previous brands I've owned. Is there some type of speaker protection I can install that will make it less likely that I will blow speakers?

I'm using an NAD C 372 150w per channel amp.

Thank you.

just run a screw into the face of the amp just about mid-point of the rotation of the volume leaving it sticking out about 1/2", then place another screw into the volume knob placing it in a way that will hit the first screw limiting the travel beyond the danger point. nothing to it10.gif

Common sense and being able to recognize clipping and distortion will go a long way to prevent speaker blowing.

If you like it loud, get bigger speakers! Get some La Scala's or Cornwalls if you want it loud for extended periods of time, your ears will give out before they do!

I suspect you won't do it, but a hearing test would be a good idea to see if you've already lost some of your hearing. One hundred watts on Klipsch speakers isn't wise. Listening to relatively loud music for more than a few minutes will damage your hearing. Since you don't hear quite as well the next time you listen, you turn it up a just little more and suffer more damage. The next time, etc., etc.

You can save a good part of your hearing, or you can gradually destroy your enjoyment of music. It's up to you.

Someone told (I forget who) to connect an automotive light bulb to the pos. terminal of the tweeter diaphram. The if any DC gets to the tweeter it just lights up the bulb in the cabinet. Seems to work.

But over driving the amp is probably the problem. Do you have an EQ or other sound reinforcments on the system?

Something is wrong if your blowing speakers. I don't know what size the RB-75 is, but a large efficient speaker will help you out. Then if you blow it, you will be deaf so you won't even notice! :)

How large is your room and how far away fom th speakers are you when you listen? Thanks for the info.

Many of the volume knobs are receivers put out most of their power between 7 and 10: 00 on the dial, if you are listening past 12: 00 on the dial, then you are pushing the amplifier and forcing dirty power through the loudspeakers, rb 75s are super sensitive loudspeakers, 3 watts should give about 97Db in an average room , which very loud! Fast musical peaks might require 30 watts.

Dont drive the NAD hard and you should be OK

10.gif