Opinions on cd player and disk please?

Coytee

Today on a whim, I bought a Sony SCD CD595. It's a 5 disk SACD changer. Now remember, I currently only have 2CH. Multi channel is down the road.

My EXISTING "cd" player is a CD/DVD Sony changer, DVP NC600.

My understanding is a CD/DVD player won't sound as good as a dedicated CD player. I'm planning on getting a tube cd player but I just ordered Al's ES Khorn networks soooooooooo, the tube CD player has to wait.

But, for $163 out the door, I figured I had not much to lose.

I've not opened it yet pending some thoughts here. How might this sound in 2-ch, verses the DVP NC600 in 2ch?

In additon to that, I bought 3 SACD disks, DSOTM, which I don't have in ANY format, other than the Pulse cd live.

The Who, Live at Royal Albert Hall

And here is the one I'm blindly guessing on

Miles Davis: Jazz at the Plaza

Their selection (best buy) of SACD was about 50 selections if not less. I only wanted to get DSOTM but saw The Who so got it too. Then I thought about a Jazz/Classical or other and just grabbed one since I don't know much.

So, opionions on the player and on Miles Davis:Jazz at the Plaze please?

The new Sonys, even the inexpensive ones use decent chip sets. You'll be fine. I do think though that single disc players will have more money spent on the sound than the features. AudioXpress has always had positive things to say about the lower priced Sony CD players in general, that they were decent value for the money, in both build and sound. Can't comment about your SACDs, I'm strictly a 2-channel man.

----------------

On 6/8/2005 3:15:45 PM Jimmy James wrote:

Can't comment about your SACDs, I'm strictly a 2-channel man.

----------------

Thank you sir, but so you and others reading will know, I'm not concerned about the 2ch/SACD comment on Miles Davis as I'm sure most of his stuff was on 2ch for decades.

I'm just curious for a blind stab at something in the Jazz world, if he's a good example.

1.gif

----------------

On 6/8/2005 3:21:57 PM Coytee wrote:

----------------

On 6/8/2005 3:15:45 PM Jimmy James wrote:

Can't comment about your SACDs, I'm strictly a 2-channel man.

----------------

Thank you sir, but so you and others reading will know, I'm not concerned about the 2ch/SACD comment on Miles Davis as I'm sure most of his stuff was on 2ch for decades.

I'm just curious for a blind stab at something in the Jazz world, if he's a good example.

1.gif

----------------

Hard to find a better example than Miles, if I'm understanding you. I'd suggest starting out with "Kind of Blue". You'll love the sound quality and the music too.

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" SACD has received much acclaim. It would be a good start. Not famliar with disk you bought.

If you get into SACD -- either 2-channel or multi -- you'll likely find the BB selection musty and dusty. To keep up with the good stuff, check out the reviews at High Fidelity Review:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/

To find a big selection with good on-line service, try Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

http://www.amusicdirect.com/

I have a similar Sony CD/DVD/SACD changer -- I think the 655 -- using it for casual CD listening and SACD playback. I've been quite pleased and have used it for a couple of years. Can't say about its DVD playback, but I am sure it is typical Sony.

----------------

On 6/8/2005 2:54:46 PM Coytee wrote:

Their selection (best buy) of SACD was about 50 selections if not less.

----------------

Kinda pathetic, ain't? Dire Straits's "Brothers In Arms" was the 3000th SACD title, and yet the biggest music retailer in the nation stocks 50. If you want SACD, internet mail order is the way to go.

Most of those 3000 titles are classical, by the way, then jazz, then pop.

----------------

On 6/8/2005 6:16:51 PM BS Button wrote:

Hey Coyote,

I was in Knoxvegas last week. Need to look you up sometime. You live in the boonies, don't ya?

BS

----------------

You sir, are being diplomatic lol 9.gif

Yes, I work in (west) Knoxville and live in Greenback. I'm absolutely sure that Greenback qualifies as the boonies. Interesting thing about Greenback is you can't get there from Knoxville.

You must first either go through Maryville or Lenoir City.

If you're in K-town I'd be happy to let you buy lunch 2.gif or, if you happen to be passing through Greenback, FIRST off, you are REALLY lost... that said, well... let's just leave it at you'd be REALLY lost.

9.gif