Power and room size for R-7

Mavicator

Will the Denon 1803 play? Yes. Will you get good results? Probably not, unless you set all speakers to small and use an 80 Hz crossover. The Rx-7 series are very good speakers, but they are power hungry due to the low minimum impedances.

Outboard amplification is a major plus with the 7s. Good amplification makes a major difference. The normal advice is to recommend a stout separate amplifier.

Bill

Mcgoo's advise is right on.Even with a good ext amp though the 1803 is gonna be weak in the pre/pro department.If you go the avr route with 7s you need at the very least a $1k+(retail) ballpark avr,(ex.Rotel 1056,Denon 3802/3/5,HK 630/635,Marantz 8400/8500,Pioneer Elites then add amp/s when possible.This is just a suggestion of the minimum to get more out of the 7s,they will run on the 1803,adding an amp would help alot.

Firstly, I think you've got an unbalanced system, because the sub cannot possibly match your other speakers in quality, output, or anything else for that matter.

You'd be much better off getting RB-75s for your mains, as opposed to RF-7s, and using all of the difference to get a better subwoofer.

This would also solve the low impedance problem, because I don't think the RB-75s are as difficult to drive.

Here's a 3-step suggestion.

A good upgrade route would be to FIRST get a 5.1 system right now, consisting of 4xRB-75s and 1 RC-7, as well as a very good subwoofer. This would allow you to keep your receiver.

The next upgrade step would be to move to a pre/pro and amp combo instead of a receiver. There is no reason to waste your money on another receiver at this point, when you've got one that can do the job in the meanwhile.

The final upgrade step would be to get a pair of RF-7s for your mains and shift your front RB-75s into being side speakers. This would upgrade your system to 7.1 in addition to giving you better mains.

I'm getting the feeling this system is too much for the room. SVS recomended that sub based on the room specs, but it sounds like the R7 speakers are way beyond it. Maybe I should be looking at Rx-35?

EDIT: I need to stay with 6.1 because the room is wired for it and I can't tear the walls apart again. That and there's no way to use two rear speakers in that way with this room. :(

A room of 14.5 by 22 is not too small for RF-7s. You are likely to be very unhappy if you do not go with the Rx-7 series.

My room is two feet longer and wider, but has a normal ceiling. There is no way in hades that I would give up the RF-7s. I use an RSW-15 subwoofer which has a 650 watt amp.

SVS was being conservative with your money. In a home theater, bigger is usually better, all other things being equal. Go for a bigger subwoofer when the budget permits it.

Bill

I agree with everyone, a better sub should be your top priority. I had a PB10 at first and while it was quite good for the money I knew it was just a taste and I wanted a bigger/better one. I sent it back and got a 20-39 PC+ tube and it has proved to be worth about twice the cost of the PB10. This is with a RF35/RC7/RS35 system running off an HK AVR 430. If I ever upgrade to RF7's I'll just add another PC+ tube. In your case I might just start off with the PC Ultra tube. I almost wish I had but couldn't bring myself to spend any more money as this home theater craze has made me spend far more than I originally intended 14.gif