Formica has Klipschorns in Montreal!

formica

Im back from my road trip, with a pair of Klipschorns. In addition to the set I already had (1978 D model) I drove down today to meet up with Chris Robinson in VT to pick up his 1976 C Khorns with Jeff Lessards crossovers.

As a bonus, I also got to meet two great members, Chris Robinson and Frzinvt (Charles), both of whom are class acts.

First off, Id like to thank Chris. He went out of his way to meet me half way, sold me a nice pair of khorns, at a very reasonable price, and bought me lunch to boot. What can I say... an all round nice guy. 1.gif Hope the move to NC goes smoothly.

On my way back to Canada, I was passing pretty close to Frzinvts place... so I dropped by to meet him. He has more equipment in his living room than you can shake a stick at. I also met his VERY understanding wife who has given him free reign in that department. 2.gif Beautiful collection of heritage klipsch... and HT equipment ... enough to fill a room many times the size of his current one with great sound. Hopefully his plans for his projected HT room work out.

Border crossing went pretty well, and payed my taxes on a lower declared amount. Actually two of them commented that they are surprisingly expensive. I probably would have had less questions had I lower the value even more. Go figure...

Ill post more in a couple of days as I havent yet tested them. With all the driving, hooking up, and a non-operational A/C unit in my home, Im not done yet.

Rob

Hi Rob, just up having breakfast. Since I can't keep your night hours, I'm just seeing your post now.

It was fun meeting you as well and catching up over lunch. You're a really nice guy as well, as are all of the folks I've physically met on the forum. Klipsch attracts good folks, I think.

Ironically, our meeting place was the exact place where Charles and I traded Cornwalls last year. It must be divine intervention 9.gif

Glad you got back, but a broken A/C can't be good with 90F+ temps. It was really smokin' hot during the NH return drive.

Shoot me a note if you encounter any issues at all!

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Sorry for being a awhile, but got the AC up and running last night... so I'm a little more comfortable now. 1.gif

Got the corner horns set up, and in typical khorn style they sound great. The midrange does seem "slightly" smoother than my other pair... but I haven't done much serious listening nor A-B them so I can't rule out psychoacoustics. For those who don't know, both my pairs ('76 an '78) have the exact same components but the second set has all new caps in the x-overs. I'll eventually get around to testing them side-by-side and post back in a new thread.

WAF has automatically gone up... these look much better in my living room. I'm pretty convinced now that I will convert and refinish my 1st set as well. I get restless if i don't have projects. 2.gif I've moved them downstairs for now, where I will eventually have my HT room.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 7:42:02 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

Klipsch attracts good folks

----------------

I agree... those I have met and corresponded with have been top notch. A lot of "no-nonsense" type of folks... I don't know how this relates back to Klipsch, but it definitely reflects PWK

----------------

On 6/12/2005 6:12:09 AM Frzninvt wrote:

You are welcome anytime that you happen to be in the area.

----------------

Same here, let me know if you are coming this way... you really are just a stone throw away from my place. I still think it would be cool to have a northeast Klipsch get together... maybe I'll try again for the next Montreal HiFi show.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 12:34:51 AM nicholtl wrote:

When will I be the next??

----------------

Nick Do really have anything keeping you? If you have two reasonable corners, it's really up to you... but you may knock some of those bottles off their shelves. 2.gif If you think about it, Khorns are bargains used.

Later guys...

Rob

Formica, you are lucky!

Was it you on the "lespac" site, seeking a pair of klipshorn? I seek a pair too, but I don't have time nor a good enough vehicle to go to the states to get one. I'm not in a hurry anyway; I don't have the place yet. In fact, I would have to store my RF-3/RC-3/RS-3 to be able to put khorns in my room :)

----------------

On 6/14/2005 4:33:01 PM martindemon wrote:

Was it you on the "lespac" site, seeking a pair of klipshorn? I seek a pair too, but I don't have time nor a good enough vehicle to go to the states to get one. I'm not in a hurry anyway; I don't have the place yet. In fact, I would have to store my RF-3/RC-3/RS-3 to be able to put khorns in my room
:)

----------------

That would have been me... although I haven't been the only one posting want ads around here. Unfortunately I have received very few leads from those ads... but you never know.

BTW, I rented a mini-van to pick these up... it isn't that expensive (about 90$cnd taxes included) + gas. You wouldn't want to know what I'm storing... 2.gif

----------------

On 6/14/2005 2:14:51 PM psg wrote:

Keep an eye out for a pair of vertical Corns, and post some pics of those babies!

----------------

Will do on both points... although I still think a LaScala/Belle as a centre would be a better match for both of us. I should test one of my Cornwalls .. as centre space (and time) is at a premium. I'll get some new pics after I reposition my sub, and you'll understand what I mean... but need a new cable for that.

Rob

Yup... I have em at home. They came to ±22$US for 7 pcs (ie: about 3$ each) plus whatever it'll cost to ship them to you. Been having a busy week, but I'll try to package them up and get them out to you in the next weeks. Quite a bit better than getting them locally... 1.gif

I'll send you an email with the final details.

Rob