Deliverance

ygmn

On sale at Circuit city for $7.50...

DD 5.1....2.35:1

Wow....has been a long time since I have seen this in widescreen...the views...are spectacular....

the movie is well....not for kids....

Uncut give you lines like:

"Squeel like a pig boy"

Well worth another watch in Ws format....

I remember my Dad took my brither and I to see this back when we were kids. The older woman behind the ticket counter took at look at my brother and I (remember single screen theaters?) and asked my Dad if he was aware this was an R-rated movie. We found out later why...LOL

• Moderators

Yikes. I saw this when I was 13 and babysitting at a house with a 3 year old and nine year old. The mom actually RENTED it for us.

Now there's some parenting for ya.

Great flick though. For adults.

Way back, I read the book before I saw the movie--one of the few where the movie was better--the book went into too much detail about the climbing, canoeing, roads etc. The movie with that great soundtrack and "Dueling Banjos" had alot more impact.

Not enough of Burt in action, but when he shows up he really shows up---that redneck never knew what hit him--

Back in the period from 71-76 we routinely would head off to canoe the Ocoee, Hiwassee, Tellico, Nantahala, & Chatooga rivers in SE Tennessee, NE Ga, and West N.C. (And this was before ABS Royalex!)

Deliverance was filmed on the Chatooga with composite shots of several other rivers added ...

Of course we were long haired commie hippies to the locals then, and many of the often routine encounters are chronicled in Bill (William) Nealy's Whitewater Tales of Terror. You may be familiar with Bill's work if you whitewater canoe/kayak or mountain bike! ...Well worth the laughs mixed with genuine insight!

And while I can't vouch for the 'more interesting scene, let's rephrase that as the 'more often commented upon' scene!, in Deliverance, but the adversarial encounters with the locals were real and routine! And anyone who has been there has at least a story or two regarding the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Benton, TN redneck police department! Thank God for my father's position, or I would still be in jail for doing 120 (yeah right! that's what they said! and it didn't help to point out thet they didn't have radar as i was placed in their car, my car was searched for bottles!, and then towed the block to the polkice station - yep, everyone had their hand in this operation!) in the speed trap returning from Emory University at 2am on a Sunday night as the curvy Highway 411 dropped from 55 to 34 MPH (yep! I wish I had a picture of that sign! Before the then local sheriff's anatomy was modified with it!) for ONE block! But then I was in a borrowed 1963 Biscayne with Pennsylvania tags!!! Can we say YANKEE TRAP? Let's just say I had been futily trying to pass two semis on the curvy 2 lane highway all the way from Atlanta (this was just before I-75 was completely opened) in a car that couldn't go 60 downhill with the wind if the barometric pressure was favorable!

We'll skip most of the rest, but having a prominent relative who was listed as head of a federal law enforcement agency didn't hurt when this long haired freak who had recently relocated to TN from the DC area asked to use their WATTS line and then allowed them to ask the natural questions...what for? where? to whom? just a second.....

But I was released with a fine that dropped from >$800 or wait for the judge on Thursday to $27.50 with the receipt written on a folding grocery store accounting pad, and a 'be careful'! I think they were just as glad to get me out of there as I was to be let go as I figure they realized they had caught what amounted to a skunk in their little shakedown operation!

But since then the region has realized what a cash cow they have and they welcome the boaters with open arms!

And you'll just have to wait for some other occasion to hear the story of hitting lower Broadway chauffeuring Chris Amson, Ian and Jon Evan from Jethro Tull and Chris Michie over from Pink Floyd as they were intent on ravaging the classic country and bluegrass stores (Earnest Tubbs!6.gif ) when we were 'home' in Nashville in 72-73 with the Thick as a Brick (we drove in from Knoxville for this!) and Passion Play tours! Geesh! Where are the cameras when you want them!? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />