Need Two IEC Power Cords,...Advice?

126mhz

I make all my own speaker cables and most of my interconnects. I beleive the biggest voodoo segment of the audio market is speaker cables, interconnects, and power cords.

Having said that one of the top reasons I like this site is the "Real World" sage advice I have received.

I need two IEC power cords, at least five feet in length and I'd prefer them to match. I found some company from China, (on Ebay) that sells some dolled up cables that seem to be pretty nice by looking at their specs. They are about forty bucks which is the top end of what I would like to pay but the catch is that they need twenty bucks for shipping.

Any suggestions on where I can pick up a couple of IEC matching cords that are at least five feet long?

As always thanks,

Bill Woodward

Imagine tons of thin wire carrying power that runs hundreds of feet, then imagine monster cable running at the last 6 feet of the power. Do you *honestly* believe that a higher end power cable will fix all the interference and fluxuations in power before it? Just follow ohms law, your senses, and don't believe the marketting hype on power cords.

The only real way to clean up power is to use an SLA battery to power your amps. At least that's what i've read. :)

-Joe

Some exotic detachable power cords contain RF filtering, which I find important in reducing rf modulation of audio (raspy quality in upper harmonics and sibilances especially). However, a more economical solution is a decent multi-outlet, multi-stage power line filter and the type of inexpensive power cord mentioned above.

Leo

If extensive RF filtering/line conditioning is required, why are folks looking at power cords to do this?? This seems akin to analyzing the type of gas I use in my lawnmower in order to address a problem with hairballs in my cat!

If you are concerned with RF noise, get a clip on ferrite bead for the cable - they are available for at most $1.50-$2.00. Or look at an isolation transformer from Stancor!

But one might wonder why, if this is such a problem, is it only critical with the audio system when SO many other peices of equipment will be even more sensitive with their over-engineered(sic) $1.50 power supplies??

Has anyone actually viewed the AC to identify the anomalies? And while I am not willing to vouch for any utility company (I Have had to deal with this issue in the real world with a communications head end and in computer control rooms - but I dare say it took more then fancy power cords to address the situation!), I will stick my neck out and suggest that the majority of whatever glitches you are seeing are originating from within your own home.

I would suggest that you might want to address these anomalies after you identify them, even if you simply isolate the feed to your audio system, before looking at exotic power cables that will do little else then solve the issue of a too heavy wallet.