passive vs. active

rasavage4

I was thinking about experimenting with my ipod (using the lossless transfer to avoid data compression) and found this site:

http://psiberaudio.com/catalogue.htm

But realized I was in over my head. It just so happens though that even if I don't hookup my ipod to my receiver that I could use a new preamp for my TT anyways since the one I got is kinda crappy. So any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

Passive preamps are essentially program selectors with a volume control. The idea is that if you are not running anything but line level inputs, no TT, tape deck heads or mics, why pay for the amplifier you don't need?

----------------

On 6/14/2005 11:08:28 PM rasavage4 wrote:

... It just so happens though that even if I don't hookup my ipod to my receiver that I could use a new preamp for my TT anyways since the one I got is kinda crappy...

----------------

If you want to run a TT you need a real preamp the passive stuff will not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

You can check 'em out for yourself -- cheap -- at:

http://www.audioreplay.net/tc754pp.html

I use this when I hook up my SI tripath amp. It's got three passive line inputs *and* a built-in phono stage. For under $80 shipped, it's a pretty easy audition -- although you won't get the premium quality volume control which is generally considered essential for a "real" passive preamp. Of course, the "real" ones cost a lot more! 2.gif I would recommend a better interconnect that the one that comes with the unit, however...

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott

From the original post, a bit difficult to figure an answer. One MUST assume the "HT" setup has a preamp since it would be a bit difficult to handle surround passively, except with Hafler.

So...the issue is: Are all the inputs you wish to amplify at line level? If so, then passive is fine since all you need is volume control.

If your power amp has that, you don't even need passive...

Dave