Decibel levels

marcophile

I do not own an SPL meter but was wondering what the decibel level might be approaching in my listening room.

Listening Room: 20x24 Acoustical tile ceiling at 7'-6"...carpeted and furnished. Sharp corners and hard walls. Listening chair is centered...3 feet from back wall...along 24ft wall.(15-20 feet from LS)

Speaker: La Scala 2004, toed in along 24 foot wall...placed in corners. Toed up with a 1" block under front edge

Amp: Mcintosh 6500

Source: CD Player

Music: Rock ( i.e. Flamin Groovies, Nick Lowe, Ramones)

Amplifier output: steady output bouncing between 2 and 25 watts..although I'm sure the exact output is more if it was measured digitally

Curious to know if SPL can be estimated..thanks

psg, that calculator is pretty neat. Beginning with the LaScalas 104 db/w/meter, adding 3 db for every doubling in power up to 32 watts (1,2,4,8,16,32)for the peaks, subtracting 3 db for every 8 feet of distance from speakers, calculator comes up with 114 dB, which is PRETTY DARNED LOUD. I don't suggest listening at that volume for very long periods as hearing damage is sure to result.

Michael

That calculator is pretty neat. It should be remembered that, depending on the room and other imponderables it could be MUCH louder. Also, I'm not sure about the ballistics of the Mac's meters, but your peaks could be much louder than they are registering.

SPL meters are pretty cheap at Radio Shack. Much cheaper than a hearing aid, if you catch my drift ...2.gif

----------------

On 6/16/2005 4:29:58 PM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

On 6/16/2005 2:14:51 PM rplace wrote:

Cool tool! 127db that is loud right?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

----------------

127dB is hearing damage. And tinnitis ISN'T cool!

----------------

Thanks for your concern and advice...but I never turn it up even close to 1/2 way let a lone all the way. I think I have just a little head room to spare.

Yeah, I do most of my listenning at 90 dB or so and there's some stuff that needs 105 dB to sound realistic. The difference between us and other people at 105 dB is that we set it and forget it and other people can't enjoy the music because they are affraid of damaging their speakers; no head-room left! If I've got 10 or 15 dB left, then the occassional louder passage doesn't worry me one bit! Sweet!

This is specially true in HT. Loud passages in movies are unexpected. I can just enjoy the movie without running to the volume dial when it gets loud.

3.gif