Which Pre/Pro?

pythagore

Now, that I have serious power to drive my RF7, all I need now is a good Pre/Pro.

I'm considering the Anthem, Stage one and the Arcam AV8, Lexicon MC4

In Ottawa Canada:

Stage One $4080 CAD (Floor Demo)

Lexicon MC4 $7000 CAD

Anthem AVM30 $3500 CAD

Arcam Av8 ?

I just bought 2 Aragon amps from the Dealer, he said he can sell me the Stage one for $3900. But I really need the DolBy Prologic IIx which the Stage one does not have.

I listened to the Stage one and it sounded amazing.

What do you guys think?

The Anthem would be my choice, provided it has the latest updates to the firmware. The Lexicon would be on my list as well.

For others to help you, they need to know what percentage of music you listen to. The best processors for movies are not always as good at music.

Bill

I'm 80% music and 20% movies

I like to listen to music in multi-channel mode. I'm currently using a computer connected to my AVR via SPDIF for MP3/CD (Player:Winamp-Asio-Mad 24bit, Encoded:VBR 224-320Kbps) playback. Analog out of soundcard connected to the 8CH direct inputs of receiver for DVD-Audio playback.

The HK avr525 with the logic 7 (music) so far is great, but I think I can do better.

----------------

On 6/18/2005 12:33:27 AM pythagore wrote:

I like to listen to music in multi-channel mode. I'm currently using a computer connected to my AVR via SPDIF for MP3/CD (Player:Winamp-Asio-Mad 24bit, Encoded:VBR 224-320Kbps) playback. Analog out of soundcard connected to the 8CH direct inputs of receiver for DVD-Audio playback.

The HK avr525 with the logic 7 (music) so far is great, but I think I can do better.

----------------

If you're listening to stereo music using analog outs from a sound card into equipment of your caliber, you're seriously missing out. I can understand doing that for multichannel games... but for DVD-Audio it's not quite up to par and it's totally redundant for stereo.

Instead, you should probably get a dedicated DVD-A/SACD player (although you can hold off that for now)... but definitely use digital out from your soundcard (or buy the Chaintech AV-710 if you don't have a digital out. TRust me - the difference will be staggering.

----------------

On 6/18/2005 12:33:27 AM pythagore wrote:

I like to listen to music in multi-channel mode.

----------------

Hi Pythagore,

I was in a similiar boat you are in now. I wanted a HT preamp that delivered great 2 or 5.1 channel audiophile music. I auditioned all the preamps you have looked at along with the Bryston SP1.7. After listening to the Bryston SP1.7 (5000 CAD) my search was over. This is definitely the best 2 or 5.1-channel preamp of the group due to its analog circuitry in bypass mode. Here is a link to the Bryston website which describes it all: http://www.bryston.ca/sp17_m.html

If you would like to hear the SP1.7 with RF-7's, we can arrange a visit.

------

Hi Pythagore,

I was in a similiar boat you are in now. I wanted a HT preamp that delivered great 2 or 5.1 channel audiophile music. I auditioned all the preamps you have looked at along with the Bryston SP1.7. After listening to the Bryston SP1.7 (5000 CAD) my search was over. This is definitely the best 2 or 5.1-channel preamp of the group due to its analog circuitry in bypass mode. Here is a link to the Bryston website which describes it all: http://www.bryston.ca/sp17_m.html

If you would like to hear the SP1.7 with RF-7's, we can arrange a visit.

-----------------------------------

Hi GorgeV,

Are you in Ottawa? My dealer does not have the Bryston in stock, but told me that he can order it for me. He is trying to sell me a Lexicon MC8. But I wanted to make sure to buy the best. While the Logic7 processing is tempting, but I want to listen to as much as I can before buying.