When did the K401 horn replace the K400 horn?

bhendrix

----------------

On 6/20/2005 2:23:03 PM Royster wrote:

Do even own khorns, or any of the heritage line?

As someone who spends a great deal of time listening to them, I can tell you that the proper amount of "worship" is rarely displayed IMHO.

You pontificate on subjects ranging from, law, room acoustics, politics, religion, and many more, now you want to police "the proper amount of worship".

Here is a news flash for you. You are on a KLIPSCH owned site. There is bound to be a staggering amount of "worship" as you say. The PWK design and build makes me happy every day. Maybe I did not see that YOU were appointed the "worship" police.

----------------

Poor guy! Even within Klipsch the issue of horn resonance was a topic just as the larger issue of using average versus improved drivers was an issue. And becuase you are familiar with only one sentence taken out of the context of an entire life filled with many discussions you are now the expert!

Funny, I had the actual discussion (actually MANY of them!), and I didn't see you anywhere around!

And while I certainly respect him and everyone who worked there, I do not worship him nor anyone else.

And since you are so quick to challenge my credentials, for the third time, I am willing to compare my credentials, accomplishments and qualifications ANYTIME by one with sufficient clearance and standing. But that seems to be the ONLY area in which you are silent! And at your wittiest and most intelligent! Go figure!

And let me guess, you are the guy to tell us what "Proper perspectives" is.

"Do even own khorns, or any of the heritage line?

As someone who spends a great deal of time listening to them, I can tell you that the proper amount of "worship" is rarely displayed IMHO.

You pontificate on subjects ranging from, law, room acoustics, politics, religion, and many more, now you want to police "the proper amount of worship".

Here is a news flash for you. You are on a KLIPSCH owned site. There is bound to be a staggering amount of "worship" as you say. The PWK design and build makes me happy every day. Maybe I did not see that YOU were appointed the "worship" police."

I first owned Klipschorns in 1973, was a dealer up 'till 1989, and had several discussions with PWK.

You're wrong on most counts.

The K400/401 is 23" deep. You will never get it to fit INSIDE a CornW. You will have to mount it on top or something.

The K55 used in the 400/401 horns came in three models. The K55V, the K55M and the latest K55X. They had to change suppliers over the years. All have the same screw thread.

JM

----------------

On 6/20/2005 8:32:47 PM djk wrote:

I first owned Klipschorns in 1973, was a dealer up 'till 1989, and had several discussions with PWK.

You're wrong on most counts.

----------------

The rear mounting of the horn and the interruption of the expansion rate does introduce additional diffraction error. Whether he decided that it was significant enough to incure the additional labor and production costs were his decision. Nevertheless, the physics didn't change.

We were in contact with Klipsch and experimented with both aluminum and fiberglass horns during the 1975-77 for a sound reinforcment system and had numersous discussions regarding the resonant characteristics of the horns, as well as alternative drivers. And the engineering staff was indeed divergent in their view regarding the advantages of new drivers. Or perhaps you would maintain that they simply had differing views to confuse us! And I got my first pair of LaScalas in 74 to go with the A7s I had as a result of going out onto a runway to listen to a demonstration Klipsch had set up for us.

At that time we ultimately chose to stay with our own subs and Bob Heil's systems, including the original troffs from the Who's show. It's a shame Bob Butler isn't still around to laugh his *** off at this!

And by 1973 I had already finished tours with the Thick as a Brick and Passion Play Tours with Tull with Chris Amson and Chris Michie (over from Pink Floyd), Poco up through "Good Feeling to Know" and out with Beautiful Day and Jim Croce backing us through December, a good part of the Divine Miss M tour and was off to do the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour by fall of 73 - and then back with Tull, EJohn again for the Brown Dirt Cowboy, Procol Harum, Bob Seeger, BTO and the Pointer Sisters mixed in, Elvis in the spring of 75 and then back with Tull for Minstel in the Gallery in '75...and more that is really none of your business.

But I'm glad you learned to sell them.

Yes the K401 is 23 3/4 deep with the K55 driver. I think the intention was not to put in the Cornwall cabinet but to use for a Cornscala. Also, the K401 will not work inside a sealed cabinet UNLESS you want it to be recessed like it is in the La Scala. If you want it to be flush mounted like the horns of the later Heresys or Corns, there is no way to get a "seal".

It was my understanding (and still is)--based on information from an employee who worked at Klipsch & Associates at the time the switch to flush-mounted drivers was made--that the reason for the switch was for reasons of production efficiency, not for the difference in the sound.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 9:54:02 PM Hardhead wrote:

It was my understanding (and still is)--based on information from an employee who worked at Klipsch & Associates at the time the switch to flush-mounted drivers was made--that the reason for the switch was for reasons of production efficiency, not for the difference in the sound.----------------

I would suspect that both production efficiency and total production cost would be acurate. Resonance charactrisitcs may or may not have been a factor. But I doubt it hurt the case for the new horn flare!

The discussions about resonance that we had were long before that in the mid '70s. It is simply interesting to note that while product decisions of course were made at different points throughout the product lifecycle, discussions regarding performance were not necessarily black and white. Many decisions are involved, just as with the decision to not route the difficult compound angles needed to effectively continue the horn expansion rates on units with rear mounted horns.

Are these 'flaws' in a design? Technically they were definately tradeoffs. Were they fatal flaws? I wouldn't think so. But were they severe enough to warrant the extra production expense and complications? Evidently not. Such decisions are made everyday with every product and should surprise no one. I also suspect the quote attributed to Paul was made with just such practical considerations in mind, as he also maintained that horn resonance was insignificant and that better drivers would afford not appreciable improvement. It is also instructive to realize that Paul was also a businessman! And as such ROI was also a significant concern.

I just find it humorous and tantamount to heresy to actually think about what were meant by statements, often quoted out of context, when the discussion was ongoing among some within the engineering ranks at Klipsch. Surprising that people think? I would hope not! And do I find it surprising that people might have differing opinions? What would amaze me more would be to find out that all were expected to walk in lockstep and encouraged not to think! After all, if there were no creative thinking, and if people were not encouraged to challenge accepted ideas and to creatively approach the world, it would definitely be a loss for the company and its customers.