Leveling Everything Out

Rdmarsiii

Hey all, I've had my DIY Adire Tempest sub up and running for the past few months now, and I've encountered a problem. Its the Adire Alignment design, which is about 4' tall and 2' square, tuned at 15.4 hz.

I did some reading on here earlier today, about setting the speakers to small or large. Some one said that setting them to small would take much of the load off the amp therefore making the mids and highs sound better. So I did just that, and noticed the imaging was more on center, if thats a word, and acoustic guitars just seemed to stick out there, like I could reach out and grab it. Buuuut, the lower freq drums and bass guitar just almost disappeared. I made sure my sub was still on, which it was. I turned the crossover up further, and no change.

I got to looking in the HK manual (I'm using a Harman Kardon AVR 125) And when the speakers are set to small, it crosses over at 100 hz. So I turned the sub's volume up, and the midbass is back, but theres a huge gain 35 hz and under. On movies and some music with the low end extending into 20 hz, anything under 30 hz is unbearably loud. So im stuck. I dont want to set the speakers back to large because they sound better on small. So is it time to

A: Get a new amp

or

B: Get a pair of Epic CF's so I dont even have to use a sub for music

or

C: Get a new amp and a new pair of speakers

I'm open to anything else too. Like I said, I'm stumped on what to do. Oh, I have Heresy's right now, which I dont want to part with, so any help would be great. Thanks, David

Rdmarsiii,

Congrats on the sub project. I bet that big rascal has killer sound. Sorry to be no help on the receiver settings, but you've got some definite drool factor going on that sub. If you have a chance to post some pics that would be cool.

--------

James. gotcha on haha sry.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 6:11:34 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Rdmarsiii,

Congrats on the sub project. I bet that big rascal has killer sound. Sorry to be no help on the receiver settings, but you've got some definite drool factor going on that sub.

----------------

/>

Hehe thanks Dad! She's a beaut.

A few suggestions for those 30hz and below.

.... use a NOTCH FILTER for all the frequency's below 30hz ...or, add an low-fequency eq.

~Rock On.

It quite possibly could be a simple phase issue. Nothing to worry about here. Just reverse the polarity on your subwoofer and you'll be all set. Or if it's easier, switch the polarity on all your speakers. It sounds like when your mains were set at large, that you had deconstructive intereference all the way down to 35Hz, but when set to small you now only had the issue in the crossover region (thus making the 35Hz insanely louder). Once you get the polarity switched, you'll probably find that you can turn the subwoofer volume down about 6dB from before.

Btw, how do you know at which frequencies the boom is happening and how loud is it? Are you just guessing by ear or actually measuring it? I modelled the design you mentioned and your output is decreasing pretty fast below 50Hz. But it's also decreasing from 80Hz and up as well (kinda like a big peak centered at 80Hz). So to get a smooth transition at 100Hz, the lower frequencies (combined with room gain) are getting boosted which might be what you're hearing (in combination with bad phasing between sub and mains).

I like the idea of moving the sub around too and seeing how it affects the sound. If the "boom" is really loud, then it's likely a totally seperate acoustical issue.

I think I have a temporary fix to the problem. I had an extra ProMedia Ultra sub laying around, so I wired the two in series creating an 8 ohm load on the amp. I turned the amp down quite a bit, and it seems to have fixed the problem. This is a temporary fix, however. I need to find a new amp. (suggestions on one would be great) I think I got them narrowed down to the Rotel RB-1070, an Aragon 2004, and the Parasound A-23. Thanks

I guess I should have said the sub sounded fine before, when the speaks were set as large. I used one of those freq reproducer things off the net to do it. Forgot what it was called.