Monster Power Necessary?

S2KDDS

There's NO WAY you need to spend $400 on a power supply. Look at some of the power conditioners/surge protectors from Tripplite if you want something that WORKS (very well respected company) and is given at a reasonable price (got one that handles up to 1200 watts for $120).

I won't bother with attempting to un-mask the VooDoo of power conditioners and how I thionk it silly to condition AC power when even some of the cheapest A/V equipment includes power conditioning when converting to DC current, I'll just stick to the Surge Surpression asspects.

After our house suffered from a lightning strike summer in which a couple cheaper surge protectors not only failed to protect what was plugged into them . . . they damn near started fires as the plastic cases melted and burned causing smoke & soot damage that required cleaning and painting.

(the surge protectors I had that performed the best were Tripplite)

After replacing two AVRs, two DVD players, two CD players, two VCRs, two TVs, two cordless phones, one microwave oven, one refridgerator, one dishwasher, three clock radios, three ceiling fans, one 'boombox' and EVERY lightbulb in the house (the triplite saved the computer though the computer speakers crapped out later, which I replaced with Klipsch, which reinspired me towards Klipsch ownership)

Anyway, I work in commerical retail (Petroleum) construction and consulted with my most trusted electrical sub, he installed a "Whole-House" surge protection system for under $250 . . . a "Buddy-Deal" to be sure but still by far the best possible set-up as EVERY circuit and outlet is protected...including Phone & Cable.

btw, those "Equipment Replacement" warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on . . .

I have a APC surge/battery back up on my HT and seems to work great! I like the battery backup cuz the house current goes thru the battery before it gets to my stuff! Plus if you have stuff that is sensitive to on/off like a projector the battery will last for a while till you can shut it all down! Or finish your movie9.gif I got a top of the line one for 125$ so...

I use the Monster HTPS7000 for my HT(Marantz Reference with Klipsch Heritage). I will say it DOES PROTECT. I used an Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer in the late 90's up in Canada's High Arctic, where power is supplied by 3 diesel generators(1 full time, 1 standby, 1 parts)for 5000 people. It wasn't how often the power went out, but when...lottery time...10.gif

I have noticed my video signal is cleaned up 120% totally from the Cable Co. As for sound quality, I have not noticed any enhancement in all honesty...IMO..10.gif

As stated, there are other makers other than Monster, I am happy with them, therefore I use them... 6.gif