What Separates Do You Have

S2KDDS

Hello again,

The numbers based upon 99 db sensitivity from 1 watt at 4 meters are as follows from the Crown amp size calculator:

75 db listening level:

30 db headroom = 64 watts (THX specs)

32 db headroom = 101 watts (just a little hot in the mix)

35 db headroom = 201 watts (very hot mix)

85 db listening level:

30 db headroom = 637 watts

32 db headroom = 1,010 watts

35 db headroom = 2,014 watts

The moral to the story is this: Even if your speakers are sensitive, if you ever crank it up on dynamic movies or music, you need a need a very big amp to prevent clipping.

Crown does the calculations for you so that you can separate fact from fiction when buying amps. Crown's calculations are correct on a per channel of amplification basis.

In one old thread, some folks with similar systems to mine claim to listen at 85 db. Most of the time that's too loud for me.

No doubt the naysayers will find fault with the Crown calculator. They will whine that the walls in the room provide reflections etc. Let's kill this thread and let everone do their own calculations and make their own assumtions. Don't let Griff do it for you and don't let me sway you. Make up your own mind.

Bill

PS: What was that about any 200 watt amp being able to handle the 30 db peaks? B11.gif

----------------

On 6/30/2005 10:59:54 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

85 db listening level:

30 db headroom = 637 watts

32 db headroom = 1,010 watts

35 db headroom = 2,014 watts

-----------------

Well what in the Sam Hill are you doing with that puny 225wpc Sunfire? Run right on out and get you a couple of those Crown xS1200's, then! You want headroom, don't you?!

-----------------

Let's kill this thread....

----------------

Best idea I've heard to date. We're obviously talking past each other, therefore the discussion has been rendered useless...

I have a B & K Ref 200.7 and KLF 30s, 20s and C7. I turn it on and it sounds better than anything ANYONE in this forum has. Know why?

BECAUSE IT'S MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you two kids SHUT UP before I come over and clip your power cords!

----------------

On 7/1/2005 9:38:50 AM Firme wrote:

----------------

On 7/1/2005 7:48:03 AM wstrickland1 wrote:

I have a B & K Ref 200.7 and KLF 30s, 20s and C7.

----------------

wstrickland1,

any comparisson yet on the KLF-30's vs the KLF-20's?

----------------

I did actually compare the two, going so far as to place them in the same location and of course, using the same source/program material. The 20s seem to go a tad lower, but the 30s definitely play "louder" at a given volume setting. But all in all, they are very close. If I had all 20s I would be just as content. I joke around alot, but in all seriousness I truly can't imagine anything sounding better than what I have. Growing up with my Realistic 2-way bass reflex speakers hooked up to an Emerson "reciever" and Garrard turntable, I would have never imagined having something that sounds like this. It amazes me and anyone else that hears it. Some may argue that I'm easily pleased. I think they're right. Thank goodness they are.

Strabo,

THX certified auto-calibrating receivers like mine calibrate to 75 decibels per channel and read -10 db on the display. (THX is rumored to not like auto-calibration.) Theaters that have croud noise to deal with calibrate to 85 decibels, so zero on my receiver is theater level output.

THX gives out very little information to the public. Its proprietary specifications run hundreds of pages and are a trade secret.

The Klipsch THX Ultra2 subwoofers must hit 120.5 decibels. (Why the extra half decibel is required only THX knows.) That is why a 1,000 watt amp is needed. The THX subs use the same motor and basket as the RSW-15 per Trey Cannon, but use 12 inch drivers in vented cabinets.

I hand calibrate my sub to 85 decibels after the correction factor for thr Rat Shack meter has been used.

THX specifications are merely an industry standard based upon Lucas Film's research done by Tomlinson Holman. There has been speculation on the THX name meaning the Tomlison Holman eXperiments. Persoanlly, I vote for Gearge Lucas' first movie, THX 1138.

Bill