Bose 901 is a clone?

Royster

I found this ebay listing. These appear to be from the 50's or 60's. But i would think that they ARE pre 901 for sure. Interesting how a company that is so hard line on sales and trade marks would forget the past.

I am not sure how to post a link.

Item #5783105146

Here is the link.

RARE VINTAGE PRE BOSE 901 SPEAKERS 50s/60s ALTEC JBL

IMHO these are homemade "rip-offs" of Bose 901s. Although apparently well finished they do not appear to be commercially professionally made. Where is the equalizer, without which these would lack the bass and trebel that even the 901s are able to produce when fed >60 watts of power?

These appear to be LDL speakers, which appeared a year or so after the 901s came to market. Circa 1971. It was they who ripped off Bose, not vice-versa. High Fidelity tested them and found they had a response curve humped between 200 and 5 KHz and rolled fast at either end.I don't know for sure, but I'd bet Bose sat on them and made them stop making these abortions.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 7:53:51 AM boom3 wrote:

These appear to be LDL speakers, which appeared a year or so after the 901s came to market. Circa 1971. It was they who ripped off Bose, not vice-versa. High Fidelity tested them and found they had a response curve humped between 200 and 5 KHz and rolled fast at either end.I don't know for sure, but I'd bet Bose sat on them and made them stop making these abortions.

----------------

You might be correct. Visit the link below:

Everything you want to know about Bose 901 speakers.

Based upon the comments (linked article) of the above Bozophile, those speakers don't appear to be LDL. Until proven to the contrary, I continue to believe that they're well done DIY copies of 901s. In any case, I'd bet my Cornwalls that Bose did not copy those speakers.

The bidding has ended. Perhaps the seller was shamed into removing those faux Blose.