so, i just finished caulking the k-400's

tofu

that rope caulk can get a bit pricey. $7 per 90 foot box! it took a little over 4 boxes to do both horns (so i bought 5)

i only covered them once. i didnt feel like spending another $35 when i could've almost bought the plastic horns for that much.

--------

well, i notice no difference. perhaps if there is one, it is extremely subtle. i know i did a good job putting the rope caulk on, because it took me a long time. i made sure it had full contact with the horn.

but in the end i do have that warm and tingly feeling that i "upgraded" or "modified" my speaker. i guess that makes up for the $35 hole 3.gif

I've never noticed a difference either. Neither has Bob Crites and he's even tested for it, somehow. The best sound I've ever heard came out of Woodogs Khorns, with non caulked metal horns. Now, Woodog's got a great crossover upgrade, however, and he knows the good, the bad, and the ugly, with the source material.

----------------

On 6/24/2005 10:01:43 PM Dylanl wrote:

I noticed a huge difference. My room does however seem reflect HF pretty bad.

Craig you also have a tine ear.
9.gif

----------------

can't be worse than mine..

11x11 room with no absorbtion material aside from the carpet floor

digital

How are the speakers aimed at you? In a small room you can have them aimed almost straight forward and then sit at the back of the room. Did you try the risers or did this caulk mod first? Try the riser and facing the speakers straight forward. My risers bring my LS up to 41 and 1/4 inches and it helped alot. Now I want to take 2 foot by 2 foot plywood (1/2 or 3/4 inch) and glue them together to make 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 inch risers I can slide under the LS. This way I can raise the LS up to the height of the KHorns if need be. I think 46-48 inches in my room would be about right. In your room raise the speaker to at least 42-44 inches with the risers.

People on the forum hear about how great La Scalas, Khorns, Cornwalls sound but do not realize how many different things affect the sound. Room size, what you have in the room(carpet, hardwood floors, drapes, ruggs, etc), components(if you upgrade to these speakers there is a good chance you will need to upgrade one or more of your components), quality of the recording and others. Tofu your going thru what I went thru the first 6 months I had my speakers along with many other forum members have also so hang in there. How much space between the speakers is there?

Xman

post-13699-13819266906032_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/25/2005 6:59:16 AM jbsl wrote:

digital

How are the speakers aimed at you? In a small room you can have them aimed almost straight forward and then sit at the back of the room. Did you try the risers or did this caulk mod first? Try the riser and facing the speakers straight forward. My risers bring my LS up to 41 and 1/4 inches and it helped alot. Now I want to take 2 foot by 2 foot plywood (1/2 or 3/4 inch) and glue them together to make 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 inch risers I can slide under the LS. This way I can raise the LS up to the height of the KHorns if need be. I think 46-48 inches in my room would be about right. In your room raise the speaker to at least 42-44 inches with the risers.

People on the forum hear about how great La Scalas, Khorns, Cornwalls sound but do not realize how many different things affect the sound. Room size, what you have in the room(carpet, hardwood floors, drapes, ruggs, etc), components(if you upgrade to these speakers there is a good chance you will need to upgrade one or more of your components), quality of the recording and others. Tofu your going thru what I went thru the first 6 months I had my speakers along with many other forum members have also so hang in there. How much space between the speakers is there?

Xman

----------------

the speakers are angled in toward my listening position which is in the center of the room against the back wall. i put my lsitening chair as far back as possible.

i have my speakers raised about 3 inches (four 3/4 plywoods underneath each speaker. i didnt have time to build something like yours yet.) the risers shouldn't make a difference in my listening tests because i tried using my computer chair (which can adjust really low) to level my ears with the tweeters. i know how it will sound when i comfortably sit in a normal chair with risers. there's a difference, it's just not mind blowing.

my floors are carpet. other than that theres nothing to absorb reflections. i would like to have my turntable and networks purchased before i implement some kind of room treatments, unless they can be done for ~$100 and not look like a total eye sore.

as for my speaker positioning, i have them as close to the walls as possible (without touching the wall) there is about 2-3 inches of space between the corners of my speakers and the walls (i have the speakers angled in). when i have the speakers aiming straight forward they sound rather.. lacking. this is how i had them configured when i first got them, and needless to say i was extremely dissapointed.

i would think the need for angling speakers would only apply to small rooms, not large rooms, but you claim the opposite.

more confusion... 3.gif

edit: for those of you who aren't sure what speaker i'm talking about, it is the la scala, not the k-horn.

edit2: could it be possible that i have these toe'd in too much? i have them pretty much aiming directly at my ears.

Sorry did not mean to add to the confusion. Take everyones ideas and if you can try them and they don't work then go with what sounds best to you right now with your set up. I could be in your room and not like the way the speakers sound at the angle you have them but you do like them at that angle and a third person would like it another angle. Hang in there and keep trying and if you get to the point that these speakers just won't work for you then sell them and get something else. My KLF 20s sounded very good with 2 80 watt mono amps and my A/V reciever. Got my La Scalas and they did not sound as good as the KLF 20s. After getting a Luxman preamp and a tube amp and using the risers the La Scalas finaly sound better than the KLF 20s up to a certain volume. When I turn the volume up with th La Scalas to the point you could talk to the person next to you but have to raise your voice a little they sound great! But turn it up past that point and they overpower me. With the KLF 20s I could turn them up to levels that the person next to me could not hear me and they sounded really good much better than the La Scalas. So for ME a bigger room would help and it probably would help you also.

Xman

Like I said there are so many things that affect the sound and I did not realize this when I bought my LS. This would take some work but find someone who has a very good stereo and see if you could bring over your speakers. Just make sure it is a bigger room. I know this would take some work but it could give you a idea of what your speakers can do. Or if you can convince them to bring some gear to your place that would give you a idea of how different components can change the sound in your room. Hang in there you can always resale those speakers and get back what you paid for them and try something else!

Xman