popping with my rsw 12

ballenone

maybe you guys can hlp me . when im watching my movies and under intense bass scenes i keep hearing a real bad popping sounds.even as i turn it down i will still get the popping sound when aalot of bass is present.

so my qustion is is it time to send it to klipsch and if so what would of caused this to happen...(lamens terms)

now if somebody could also explain what is happing when i hear this sound that would be cool to (tech terms)

ps hmmmm wonder if i should of bought a svs maybe klipsch cant take the pressure or the bass that is..... 6.gif9.gif

About a 2 years ago my RSW 12 would fire off a single drum beat aobut every minute when watching movies or listening to music. Turns out it was my A/VR, had it fixed works fine. Check your other components also.

Xman

Where is the volume on the subwoofer set? What is the cutoff frequency set at on the receiver? Where is the receiver's gain for the subwoofer set at?

Sounds like you are overdriving it causing the woofer to bottom out or the passive radiator to over excurt.

as far as volume on the sub its about half way ..... reciver is about +5 to +8 and as far as the cut off on the reciver i think its set at default 100 hertz ...

if i need to change these settings please let me know...all i know is that it had never started to do this before and the settings have been the same maybe its the settings i hope..

either way because its been popping i guess the damage has been done 8.gif dont the subs have some type of control to keep this from happing so somebody like me dosent screw it up in my quest for bass numbness9.gif

ballenone,

You need to turn down the gain on the subwoofer. You have your receiver set at +8 to use the automatic on feature, so the gain on the sub needs to be turned down to 9:00 or lower. If the bottoming out noise stops, too much gain was the problem.

At +8 you are close to ten times the gain that 0 represents. I set my RSW-15 at +6 and the gain nob at 9:00 which is about 10 db hot once you correct for the sound meter error at low frequencies. At 10:00, the bass will shake the whole house.

Bill

PS: Frzninvt, thanks for asking the right questions. B

Every once in a while, I'll get a pop from my RSW12. If I turn it off then back on, it works fine. Only happens about once every couple months so I haven't worried about it. I use a y-adaptor and just figure the connection comes loose occasionally causing the pop. It's pretty loud when it happens and usually scares the crap out of me.