Fishy Email

Rdmarsiii

Hey all, I posted a little while ago a pair of speakers and an HK amp I need to sell by the end of next week ($250 for the B-3's and $150 for the HK HT amp). I got an email this morning and I dont really like the way it sounds. Sounds like a scam to me. Here it is. What do yall think? (and if any one's intrested in either items, please email me :P) THanks, David

The Email:

Hello,

i saw your ads posted for sale...And i will like to know if it is still for sale...And the present condition of it..And the last price you are willing to sell it for me...And

I will like to inform you that payment will be through cashier cheque..

am from UK but i have a contact in the state that will make payment to you on my behalf by cashier check drawn from US bank on my behalf..so, if this is ok with mail me back asap with the pictures and as well as with this below details so,that i can send it to my contact in the state to address for you the check asap on my behalf..

Name to be on check:

Address where check will be received:

Phone Number's such as Mobile,Land Line and Office Number..

As regards the shippment.. do not worried as i have a local shipper that will handle that for me once you confirm to me that you have received your money.

I await your reply.

Thomas.

FRAUD!

There is some much foreign buyer cashier check (and BIDPAY / Western Union) fraud these days, I don't accept 'em any more. I've been solicited by emails such as this from multiple buyers on Videogon and Audiogon.

Sounds a lot like the fraud attempts I get almost daily on my eBay items. Those are usually from Singapore or Nigeria.

Couple of Examples:

"I am a procurement agent interested in immediate purchase of your item.After several consideration over the advert placed on the website,my client has really shown interest in it and would really want to issue the payment in form of Cashiers Check.Will you be accepting a Cashiers Check? The cashiers check that will be drawn by my client would include the cost for shipping this item to my client and my commission would be included on the same Cashiers Check.We shall solely be responsible for the shippment of the item. Please contact me asap via email for futher questions as regards this transaction or call me on +2348035618313 if you really show willingness in selling this item asap.Thank You and I am expecting your response asap"

"Hello seller, i am a Buying Agent, based in europe and Africa with chains of client all over the world. one of my client is highly interested in this brand of item and i want us to negotiate I want to ask if you accept a cheque drawn from a U.S bank? If yes, get back to me as soon as possible with the total amount of the item (buy-it-now price)excluding shipping fee because my client has a shipping company who will come for the pickup of the item wherever it is located."

Bob

I've had a few of these messages for eBay items. I normally reply that I'd be more than happy to accept their Cashier's check, but that shipment of the merchandise will be delayed until confirmation from my bank that the check has cleared. Except for one individual in Canada (who was quite real), I've never gotten a response back after making this point.

Nicholtl got it right. The sentence structure always sounds pseudo-terrorist, just another third-world US hater (can I say that here without offending anyone?) trying to scam your bucks.

I had one of those second-offer buyers contact me, but I could only keep him going for about 8 emails, it was fun though. Sent everything to ebay, but only received their automanted 'thank you for your....' emails in return.

Michael