I sure could use some suggestions for an integrated amp....

Olaf

OK...I was going to buy a receiver but I decided instead to go with an integrated amp and a tuner.

Here's the problem...I need an I.amp with a phono stage and hopefully under 1 Grand.

One with a bit of warmth and a decent soundstage would fit the bill just fine.

Speakers are RF-3's

I would appreciate any and all suggestions!!...:-)

Thanks!

If your willing to go a little retro you may want to check out McIntosh stuff from

http://www.audioclassics.com .

But then again, everything from Mac looks retro, and that's not always bad. I bought a C33 preamp that sounds (IMHO) better that most current stuff. I paid $1299 with a retail of $2,750! It was made around 1984 to 1985 (I think). It looks like it just came out of Mac's wharehouse, original box, warranty card, manual; everything! You may have problems though if your looking to HT with anything higher than 2.1.

BTW-this thing has provisions for moving magnet AND moving coil cartridges.

Good luck,

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

McIntosh MVP-841

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 09-10-2001 at 08:26 PM

The best sounding integrated amp I ever owned was a Scott 299--these had perhaps the best phono section of any integrated EVER built. Stay away from the 299C and 299D, as they lost the magic of the 7189 output 299 and 299B. I know you can get a perfect one for under $500 that has been totally restored. I can't reccomned these little Scotts enough--for the money you simply can't beat them.

Preamp

If you are looking for a smooth sounding preamp then any used Audio Research or CJ tube unit will please.

These are fantastic with solid state amps and horn loaded seakers like the Klipsch.

The tube preamp will remove any agressive edge and add this tube magic.My main audio music only system consists of a Krell FPB600 matched to a Audio Research tube preamp!And guess what,with Klipsch RF or Dynaudio Contour speakers IT SINGS.

Rotel preamps are nothing special,thier BIG amps are great value.Unless you can find a passive Rotel High-End preamp(discontinued several years ago I think).

For up to $1000 US you should be able to find a great used CJ or AR tube preamp.You may keep it a loong time and not want to hear any solid state preamps again!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

It seems the Japanese have abandoned the integrated amplifier market, so I would recommend Arcam, Creek, Rotel or NAD. At least on the affordable end. The options become more varied as the price goes up. Of the brands mentioned, I believe Creek an Arcam would be a particularly good match with klipsch. Both have received very good reviews in STEREOPHILE, and other audio publicatons. Good luck!

------------------

JDMcCall

Forgot the Misical Fidelity A3! This small integrated amp is a small wonder.Sound quality is unmatched by ANY integrated amp in this price range.An absolute bargain if you consider the match you will get with any of the Klipsch RF speakers.

A must audition,and it sings with horn loaded speakers.

Ah

And then there is the Nu Vista...audio nirvana Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your contributions for my quest in finding the right amp.

I would have responded sooner but my 'puter crashed and I had to send it 1000 miles away to get the warranty work done. I'll never buy a 'puter from 'that place' again!!

That 'puter problem stymied my ability to do online research for almost a month and I can't wait to get started again.

Musical Fidelity A3 sounds interesting and I will seriously consider that one too. I still have an interest in the Arcam Diva series. I see that 'Allan' mentioned 'Scott' and I haven't heard much from them lately. Denon also interests me. CarlV,If I decide on Denon I may contact you since I understand Denon is a good match for Klipsch. If you already sold the 'Denons' or find a buyer before I make up my confussed mind,go ahead and make some cash!!..:-)

Thanks again folks!!!

Now,on with the quest for 'Audio Nirvana' on a limited budget!