How To get to My LaScala Woofer,.... : ( (Help)

126mhz

I'm a bit bummed out, but to make a long story short I KNOW I need to get to the woofer on one of my beloved LaScalas. I'm not saying it's blown but I just installed a brand new pair of AA crossovers to correct what I thonght was an issue with the original AL crossovers, now I'm sure I need to get inside the cabnet that holds the woofer. I want to do it as cleanly as possible.

Maybe it's just the wire disconnected on the inside aspect, (inside the cabnet) but it's connected on the outside.

Whatever it takes I will sort this out because I LOVE this pair of speakers and they on on the HiFi I have in my living room.

Suggestions?

As always thanks folks,

Bill Woodward

To get to the woofer you need to remove the bottom of the cabinet.

Turn the cabinet upside down or on its side.

Notice that there is a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood on the bottom that is slightly smaller than the overall dimensions of the cabinet.

This piece is attached via screws. Remove all of the screws.

Then you have to tug hard on the plywood to pry it loose from the cabinet. It is held in place with a "rubber-type" gasket that is usually as sticky as roofing tar. A pry bar might come in handy as the seal is usually quite strong.

The woofer will then be visible/removeable through an opening in the bottom of the cabinet.

Inside the woofer bin the woofer's speaker leads are attached with two small ring terminals to the terminal block that is set back a little from the main crossover network. The screws on the ring terminals in the woofer can become loose over time and then you loose the connection.

I hope it is a simple issue. I had the same problem with a Belle Klipsch once and it ended up just being a loose ring terminal in the woofer bin.