More free classical music - for those that want to try before they buy

maxg

Following up on the post on the free Beethoven from the BBC I followed up on some of their links to other download sites and came across this:

http://www.classiccat.net/index.htm

It seems to be a central repository linking to various sites that offer free downloads of classical music. As it claims to link to ovwer 2500 separate pieces the world seems to be your oyster. I cannot speak for the performances of course - as I am yet to download a single piece - but for a flavour of the music this has got to be good.

As soon as this Beethoven is downloaded I will pick up Rhapsody in Blue and see how it is.

Thanks for the link Max. Although I'm not a die hard classical buff, I do get in the mood for classical music occaisionally. I know very little about the various musical pieces, orchestras and conductors. This may be a good site to learn a little more and try things out. Thanks.

----------------

On 6/29/2005 11:17:47 AM ancientdude wrote:

since when was rhapsody in blue a classical piece?
3.gif

Just being a pain

----------------

Since Gershwin took Jazz off the streets, dressed it in a smart suite and played it in the Concert Hall.

Actually that is not such an uncommon system in classical music (more Romantic really - but lets not get too picky about this). Many composers took well known Folk tunes from their country and incorporated them into what we regard today as classical music. Dvorak, Liszt, Smetana....