Klipsch Heresy's

Lenardie

Julie,

The grills on both the Heresy and Heresy II pull off, being held on by velcro. On the Heresy II, the mid horn has the bottom part of the mounting flange cut in an arc, to fit closer to the woofer. The drivers on the H IIs mount from the front, since the back of the cabinet doesn't come off. The Drivers (speakers) on the original Heresy mount to the back of the front baffle, so the back comes off.

Below is the front of a Heresy:

H_front.jpg

Hope that helps.

Bruce

The grills on my '72s weren't made to come off either. I believe it wasn't until about 1974 that they started making them removable.

Julie - There may be a stamped serial # on the back of your speakers that will allow us to determine the age for you. Check the outer edge of the wood. There should be 3 initials (builders) and possibly a serial # with a letter in the middle that determines the year built. They didn't do it every year but there's a good chance it'll be there if they're old enough.

Woofers up through early 70s were 16 ohm. Earliest version was an ElectroVoice SP12 or variant, these were followed by at least a couple 16 ohm, alnico magnet woofers from CTS, and maybe others. Change over to 8 ohm woofers was in mid 70s. I think there was an alnico magnet version labelled K22E, followed by ceramic magnet K22EF, followed by ceramic magnet K22E and a few other ceramic magnet variants. The changes appear to have been primarily due to cost engineering or availability. They all work well even though there Thiele/Small parameters are all over the place. Says something about how forgiving a sealed box woofer design is.

Like I said in my previous post, the one significant advantage of the later ones is that they will play low louder before reaching their limits, primarily because of increased Xmax (maximum cone excursion) and some increased power handling capability.

The K22EF is just fine. If it is not damaged, there is no need to change it. The box the woofer is in pretty much determines how low the woofer can go and maintain the same sensitivity.

----------------

On 6/30/2005 9:51:49 PM garymd wrote:

The grills on my '72s weren't made to come off either. I believe it wasn't until about 1974 that they started making them removable...

----------------

I have one pair of '72s and a pair of '81s. The grills on both are removable!