Amps for the RF7s need help

Fast1

Just bought the 7s, still have my KG4s. Rather unhappy with the 7s so far with db levels and sound quality. Only running with a Denon 2803 at 90wpc. I think they need some HP to sound good so I am looking for a good used amp. Sooo many out there. Like to stay SS, but may go tube if price is within budget. Looking to stay with something popular like Rotel, Aragon, but open to anything. I want at least 200wpc. I know the 7s are picky on power. Also concerned my cheap dvd player is hurting me. Looking for help with the cd/dvd player if one can really do both well. Have heard Denon has a good one. Price ideas will help too. Thanks

----------------

On 6/30/2005 10:10:49 PM Brandon wrote:

Rather unhappy with the 7s so far with db levels and sound quality. Only running with a Denon 2803 at 90wpc. I think they need some HP to sound good so I am looking for a good used amp. Sooo many out there. Like to stay SS, but may go tube if price is within budget. Looking to stay with something popular like Rotel, Aragon, but open to anything. I want at least 200wpc. I know the 7s are picky on power. Also concerned my cheap dvd player is hurting me. Looking for help with the cd/dvd player if one can really do both well. Have heard Denon has a good one. Price ideas will help too. Thanks

----------------

In the ~$500 department you should be looking for a B&K 4420 or the like... as well as Aragon 4004. In the >$500 department you can find the Aragon 8008ST or even 8008BB as well as a B&K 200.2 or better yet - Aragon palladium or B&K 200.1 monoblocs.

----------------

On 6/30/2005 10:10:49 PM Brandon wrote:

Also would like to know what line of digital amps to look at for reasonable prices. Will I hear the big difference with the 7s? Thanks again

----------------

After some exhaustive testing, I've determined that the lower-end digital amps, while worth their cost, are not the best solution. I've never heard a Carver Pro though.

Rotel goes very well with Klipsch. You might want to try the Rotel RB-1080, it's 200wpc.

I'm very happy with my Rotel and Klipsch RF-7 combo.

I don't care for Denon when I heard it on the RF-7, made it seem more lifeless, where the Rotel brings life and very musical with great detail.

See the thread on the QSC PLX 1202. Dean G. was very happy with his QSC, and I believe his son is now running RF-7s with Dean's QSC 1602. Either model you are talking about $500-$700 new.

One caveat, however. Even though using an outboard amp will probably help your bass response and smooth your highs down some, usually the preamp or processor's signature and other items (crossovers, source, etc.) have a more profound overall effect on the speakers' sound. Therefore, while throwing a outboard amp on your RF-7s is not a bad idea, I might try some other things first. In my experience with RF-7s, the biggest bang for the buck came from getting Dean's crossover mod, which is less money than you were already talking. So, if you want the biggest change in your speakers' sound - short of going to full-blown separates (preamp and amp) - that is where I would start.

As for the cheap DVD player, you are right. The RF-7s are extremely revealing - garbage in and garbage out. Keep your DVD player - use it for movies. Pick up a new or used Jolida or AH! tubed CD player for $500-$800, and it will make a large difference in your sound. While I love my Jolida for CDs, I am not a big fan of Denons for redbook. My Denon 2900 has been relegated to movie-duty and DVD-Audio.

Carl.