Anyone seen War of the Worlds yet? Reports?

m00n

VERY VERY scary.....There was eight kids sitting in front of me. The four girls left half way into the intense part. They ran out into the lobby. I leaned over to explain it was only make believe the story was written over a hundred years ago by HG Wells. They were shaken. I wonderd how they would have reacted to what happened in Europe during WW II. Schooling today has watered that down. They do not know what is really real. I hope they never find out.

I took my wife and 9 year old son to see it today. We all really enjoyed it. It had excellent special effects, and great sound. The bass in the movie was outstanding, I can't wait to hear it on my subs.

My son didn't think it was too scary, he just thought it was a fun exciting movie, but he has never really been the skittish type.

On a side note, they showed previews to three movies that look like they might be pretty good. The Island, King Kong, and a movie about the Brothers Grimm.

just saw it today. awesome movie. the sfx were deep, loud and full of BASS. to me it ended a little too suddenly, but other than that, really good movie. can't wait for it on dvd. The trailer for "Stealth" also looked really good. "King Kong" (another good lookin flick) will be out this December in theatres. Go see War of Worlds.

----------------

On 7/1/2005 4:46:53 PM 2bigman3 wrote:

just saw it today. awesome movie. the sfx were deep, loud and full of BASS. to me it ended a little too suddenly, but other than that, really good movie. can't wait for it on dvd. The trailer for "Stealth" also looked really good. "King Kong" (another good lookin flick) will be out this December in theatres. Go see War of Worlds.

----------------

Yeah, I have to agree with you, it did seem like they hurried the ending. They could have easily used another half hour or so to flesh out the ending more. Oh well, it was still a real good movie, maybe they will do an extended version for the DVD.

I saw it about ten days ago. I don't like Spielberg movies. I don't like Tom Cruise. But this is ONE HELL OF A RIDE, so even though if I had to give an "opinion" it would be pretty negative--it sure was fun to watch those freeways blow up and see those big tripod alien walkers pick people up, stick a tube in them and suck their guts out and spray it all over the place! YOWZA

But tell you what--I MUCH preferred "Land of the Dead!"

----------------

On 7/2/2005 6:06:24 PM toddvj wrote:

----------------

On 7/2/2005 12:08:16 AM Allan Songer wrote:

I saw it about ten days ago.----------------

Okay, how did you see it Ten days ago?

----------------

Prvate screening. Being in the film industry once in a while I get to see advance screenings.

It was a pretty good movie but the basement scene was way to drawn out. side note...Dakota is the best young girl actor out there. I too agree the ending was a bit quick and not well explained.. other than that I enjoyed the movie a lot!

Tne once scene that really bugged me was the plane crash. Do you really think there would be any commercial jet liners in the air 24 hours after an attack by aliens? And HOURS after the crash, Tom Cruise's character walks by the jet engine and it's STILL TURNING--I almost laughed out loud.

There were many other "dumb" moments, but what do you expect?

Did anyone notice the cameo by Gene Barry? Barry was the star in the 1953 WOTW. He played the grandfather in this one, shown only once standing in the doorway aside mom at the end of the flick.

There are many loose ends but the screenplay stayed true to the book. What happened to the delivery space ships for example? I too feel the basement scene too drawn out. Notice that the religious overtone from the 1st movie was totally gone from this one.

Very well done, especially for Tom Cruise whose acting basically sucks in my opinion.11.gif

Ok I'll go over to the other camp. I did not care for the movie.

The ending was reminiscing of Signs. The basement sceen was

way too long. And tom cruise was a puss. Oh and the son showing up

at the end..right. Save your money and go see Batman.

• Like 1

Sound effects were awesome. I for one am tired of the bang-bang shootemup sound effects of movies these days. Alien robots were given a whole new bevy of sound effects. That LF howl just before the destructo-ray was spine-tingling. The earthquake and buildings exploding were awesome.

Plot was okay, there was the human element side of story. THought the two kids did a great acting job. Tom was Tom, didn't detract in any way having this famous face in there. In fact he made a pretty good blue-collar bad dad character. Ending was very sudden, could have used another 10 minutes to let it wind down.

The scene where Tom lets his son 'go' had me shaking in my seat. Son says 'Dad, I have to see this', and Tom gradually lets him loose. Real touching.

Great movie- I'll buy it also.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 7:33:00 AM gcoker wrote:

Ok I'll go over to the other camp. I did not care for the movie.

The ending was reminiscing of Signs. The basement sceen was

way too long. And tom cruise was a puss. Oh and the son showing up

at the end..right. Save your money and go see Batman.

----------------

I agree with you. While the movie was at times quite a ride, the longer I spent outside the theater afterwards, the more I realized how much I felt cheated. As already said, the ending was far too abrupt. The son should have died. When the wife comes running at the end, and the leaves swirl up and surround them in a magical sunlit moment -- might as well have f__king white doves flying in the air ala John Woo already. Oh, and I HATE DAKOTA FANNING. After "I Am Sam," she should have retired. Irritating pest.

I wanted to see FAR more military might. 8 Hummers and 1 tank does not represent our military. Where was the Airforce? Where was the Navy? Where were the damn SEALS!!! And most of all, where in the heck did the "Saving Private Ryan" or "Schindler's List" Spielberg go??? It was laughably pathetic. And this being the War of the Worlds and all, I wanted to see what was going on in other parts of the world, not simply America! This movie simply lost sense of the SCOPE of it all. For example, Tim Robbins mentions Osaka, Japan. But that's it. Hell, screenwriting 101 says: don't tell me, SHOW ME!!!

But...being a Tom Cruise headliner and all...I suppose it's asking too much to draw the camera away from him for even a minute.

Easily not one of Spielberg's best, and...even though it seems ridiculous to say, it felt to me as if their budget was cut short and they had to end the film "as is." It cost about $160 million to produce this pic. I think they should've invested another $50-70 million and made this picture what it really could have been.

My concluding thought? There goes this summer's last great hope.

• Moderators

I thought I'd read somewhere that this movie follows the original story pretty closely, so it wouldn't be Speilberg's fault if the ending is rushed, right?

Or is it not like the original story at all and I dreamt that? 2.gif