help on TEAC AL700p

tosco

Hi everybody

I own a SI t-amp which drives wonderfully a pair of KLIPSCH FORTE II. Right now I read on this forum about the TEAC AL700P which uses the same technology, but i don't see any volume control. Do I need a pre-amp ? The only limit of the SI t-amp is that the speakers connectors are really tiny !! I see from the pictures that the teac is built much better !

Thanks for your help

bye

ran

thanks for your answer. I still have a doubt: can it be inserted in a normal 2-channel system ? (I mean with a normal cd player and 2 speakers). On Amazon.com I read :

" Note that the amp only works with expandable DVD stereo receivers with support for surround formats such as Dolby Digital, DTS, or Pro Logic II".

Thanks again

ran

----------------

On 7/2/2005 6:08:40 PM tosco wrote:

thanks for your answer. I still have a doubt: can it be inserted in a normal 2-channel system ? (I mean with a normal cd player and 2 speakers). On Amazon.com I read :

" Note that the amp only works with expandable DVD stereo receivers with support for surround formats such as Dolby Digital, DTS, or Pro Logic II".

Thanks again

ran

----------------

That's because the TEAC was originally designed to be used as an amp for surround channels...so it's intended purpose is to be connected to the pre-out section on the back of your reciever. That's also why the volume knobs are in the back and "hard" to adjust; the reciever's volume knob controls the pre-out levels.

So to answer your question, yes it can be used like a normal amp in a 2-channel system...though it would be nice to have a pre-amp or a cd player with volume controls built in.

I'm using one like that. It can be a two-channel amp plain and simple. The volume controls are not meant to used frequently, they're on the back. You really need some sort of pre-amp.

I made a little box like a Klipsch mini-box to work my setup. I have Khorns in corners on a 25 foot wall, a Belle in the middle. My box has L & R inputs, a volume control and a little splitter network so it has L, R. and center out. I hook the center to the center in on the TEAC, L & R hook up normally. I use the volume control on the back of the TEAC to control the level of the center in relation to the L & R. werksferme. I don't have a real pre-amp, if I did it probably wouldn't have a center out.

The way my deal works out I have the vol knobs on the back of the TEAC adjusted so the L & R are at about 3/4 vol, the center ends up about half vol. I control the overall vol with the knob on the little box I made. It's simple and effective although a picky audiophile type would probably puke all over it. I'm not one of them. :)

I'd hate to use the volume control's on the back of the teac. adjusting the left then right channel.

I would recommend one of these setups, in this order.

A preamp

A cd-player with digital gain controls

A high end computer audio card.

For me, the teac is a dream come true, after I modded it, it really cleaned up the positions of insturments in the soundstage, but i'm not discounting placebo :) All for $150 after s/h + parts.

I guess i'm just a cheap guy, can't see myself spending over $500 on an amp.. Maybe after I get a job.. heh

Tom, what do you think of the amp? Compared to some of your own gear that is. For me, considering the quality/price ratio, i've yet to see something beat it, except maybe a modded Sonic Impact t-amp.

-Joe

I removed the 2nd board, and bypassed the rear signal attenuator pots. This brought some improvement to the amp, but it still doesn't come even close to my big B&K. What other changes have you done? Would you mind sharing the directions and the part list?

I got some help with vinnie from redwineaudio, I asked him what would give me the most "bang for the buck mods" plus he gave up some technical advice. For as busy as the guy is, it was nice of him.

I first removed the center channel board. I didnt take vinnie's recomendation to replace the RCA input jacks, i used the stock ones. But i had the RCA jacks wired directly to the amplifier board via a pair of Auricaps (3.3uF, 200V).

I then pulled out the volume board. The teac's caps on the power supply board are below what's rated in teh Tripath specs. So I upgraded the capacitance to the proper 5V and 28V rails.

parts were bought at http://www.partsconnexion.com/

I suck at soldering, my brother did it, he works on audio/video gear as a job (service shop) so he did all the mods.

You'd get a lot more info from emailing vinnie and asking him directly for help with a specific issue, I don't trust myself to give sound advice about this stuff, i'm just a software programmer :)

Good luck!

-Joe

Simple volume controls or attenuators are available. They are less expensive than, and don't add the additional distortion and noise of a true peamp. Attenuators can be found with source switching. I think Creek still makes one (but it might be considered expensive). I have tried out the Teac amp in my system, using my Creek attenuator and the combination was fine.

Leo

I dunno, I'm not a lifelong audiophile with millions of hours of critical listening experience. I can tell you I have a very nice HF-81 and it's sitting dark while I listen to the SI and the TEAC. Might not always be that way, but that's how it shakes out now. After I get off my duff and get my Scott running again it might change again. The SI is just astounding on my Corns, price/ perf ratio is out past the moon somewhere on this thing, I paid $20 for it. I'm running it stock on AAs still.

You could have a look in the HT section, where Al K posted his Teac for sale. He has done some other mods to his as well. He added Molex connectors to the boards, so they can be pulled easier, bypassed the volume pots, added better terminal strip on the back for the speaker connections. He posted pics!