Stand By Me

Rick

I went to Best Buy today to buy a new DVD to watch. I decided on Stand By Me since I haven't seen it in awhile. I purchased the newer Deluxe Edition. I am so glad I did! This is one of the all time great coming of age movies with fantastic performances by all the young actors. It is so sad now the way it ends with River Phoenix's character dying since he himself is dead. The booklet and CD are nice bonuses to the set. My only dissapointment is that the soundtrack is still only Dolby Digital mono though it sounds fine and is probably adequete for this type of movie.

If you've never read the book, I highly recommend it. It was a short story or "novella" written by Stephen King in 1986 and was originally called "The Body." There's a great version on tape, read by Frank Muller, the greatest books on tape reader of all-time. He was in a horrible motorcycle accident in 2002 and will probably never read again. Your local library should have a copy on tape or paperback.

Great movie...

River phoenix I bet would have been a great actor if not for his untimely death at an early age....

Another movie based on Stephen King short story....

The man has a creative mind

• Moderators

I was a big fans of River's, especially since we were about the same age (he was less than a month older, actually).

Anyone see him in Dogfight? One of my all time faves...

----------------

On 7/5/2005 10:49:55 AM Amy Unger wrote:

I was a big fans of River's, especially since we were about the same age (he was less than a month older, actually).

Anyone see him in Dogfight? One of my all time faves...

----------------

Yes Amy I seen it. The one right before he heads off to Vietnam, and trys to hook up with a girl. I like the country and western singer movie " the thing called love", and I am not a big country music fan. I love Sneakers but that's more a Robert Redford film. I guess me and you are the same age. River was just days older than me.