Effects

vandec54

When watching a DVD at home, just like you I have many different sound formats to choose from. I have a Yamaha receiver, so I usually choose to watch dvd's using "Digital/DTS General format."

Question: If I chose to use a 5-channel or 6-channel sound format instead what effects would I be missing? Please respond in simple terms. I know in 5/6 channel there is equal volume to each speaker. Does that mean i am missing fly by type sounds from one side of the room to the other?

Let me know if you need me to respond clearer.

It also depends on the sound production and engineering on the disk.

Sometimes you get a blockbuster 6.1 disk that you think will sound amazing and you end up thinking it could have been so much better in that scene.

Then there are disks that the 6.1 sound much better than the 5.1 soundtracks.

JM

any reciever/amp that has more than 5.1 channels is just going to take the information from the surrounds and process it through the 6/7th channels. with 5.1's with the new yamahas I like the movie dsp's and or you can use the surround enhanced will use the surround backs.

The difference between dts and dolby is the sampling rate that is how many ones and zeros are fed through your reciever. dts 96khz and dolby is 48khz. Dts is twice as fast or good, you wont miss anything to speak of though.

I hope that helps and Im sure someone else can really break it down for you when your ready

The sound effects in the movie will remain the same, it is just the quality and direction that might shift somewhat.

DTS is a higher sampling rate than any Dolby format, therefore generally higher quality sound.

the .1 is the LFE or low frequency effects sound effects. They are recorded separately and sent via a line out to your subwoofer. If you don't have a sub, select an option that sents this signal to LR mains.

5.1 means you have discrete (think tracks) of sound, L,C, R, LR, RR. In the 'olden' days of Pro Logic there was only 4 channels available (limitations of VHS recording) so you had L, C, R, and both rear speakers got the same mix. So the upgrade is better quality and separate Rear tracks.

6.1 allows use of a rear center speaker. Otherwise the DVD player should 'mix-down' the center rear into both rears channels.

7.1 allows for rear surrounds and side surrounds.

Hope this clears things up.

----------------

On 7/4/2005 1:48:47 PM travisc wrote:

any reciever/amp that has more than 5.1 channels is just going to take the information from the surrounds and process it through the 6/7th channels. with 5.1's with the new yamahas I like the movie dsp's and or you can use the surround enhanced will use the surround backs.

----------------

This is just categorically incorrect. Current discs are being mixed to 6.1 specs. 7.1 is the only format the movie people haven't engineered to yet - because the movie houses are too wrapped up in special features to allow sufficient space for a discreet 7.1 soundtrack...

"So if I have my receiver set to 5.1, am I going to get the same sound coming out of each speaker or are there going to be different tracks of sound coming out of seperate speakers?"

As noted above, they are different, unique tracks engineered to create the total sound experience. The statement above sums it up well: "5.1 means you have discrete (think tracks) of sound, L,C, R, LR, RR"

Darren,

Here is an answer to your questions. It may seem like you have seen it before......

The sound effects in the movie will remain the same, it is just the quality and direction that might shift somewhat.

DTS is a higher sampling rate than any Dolby format, therefore generally higher quality sound.

the .1 is the LFE or low frequency effects sound effects. They are recorded separately and sent via a line out to your subwoofer. If you don't have a sub, select an option that sents this signal to LR mains.

5.1 means you have discrete (think tracks) of sound, L,C, R, LR, RR. In the 'olden' days of Pro Logic there was only 4 channels available (limitations of VHS recording) so you had L, C, R, and both rear speakers got the same mix. So the upgrade is better quality and separate Rear tracks.

6.1 allows use of a rear center speaker. Otherwise the DVD player should 'mix-down' the center rear into both rears channels.

7.1 allows for rear surrounds and side surrounds.

Hope this clears things up.

Actually, this previous post was so good, because it answered all the questions! Good Post!9.gif

----------------

On 7/4/2005 11:08:39 PM vandec54 wrote:

So if I have my receiver set to 5.1, am I going to get the same sound coming out of each speaker or are there going to be different tracks of sound coming out of seperate speakers?

----------------

If you set your speakers to 5/6 channel mode, I believe this is a stereo mode that is mixed to 5/6 speakers. In this case you would be getting much of the same signal through each speaker.

For Dolby Digital (5.1) or DTS see above post.

----------------

On 7/5/2005 6:25:28 AM travisc wrote:

personally I know of about three movies made in the 6.1 format I am sure there are more but I was generalizing, in most cases 98% I believe I was categorically correct.

what new movies are using 6.1?

----------------

Since 2002, there have been a total of 131 titles released in DTS-ES 6.1 discrete (77 Region 1).

Never mind all the DTS-ES matrixed and DTS-EX titles, both of which contain 6.1 channel encoding.

That said, I misread your statement - it came off like you were saying that there basically isn't any software that will take advantage of surround back channels.

My prediction? HD-DVD will render the current crop of processors and receivers utterly obsolete, as studios discover that they suddenly have the space on the disc to apply uncompressed 24/96 in 7 or more channels of discrete audio. Dolby's compression schemes will become utterly worthless, and true THX soundtracks will become the rule, rather than the exception, on subsequent movie releases...

----------------

On 7/6/2005 9:37:32 AM toddvj wrote:

...As long as they don't make us hook it up with a whole bunch of Analog cables.

----------------

Awww, come on, Todd! I know you're just itching to go out and buy a complete package Monster Ultra Elite Super-Duper Series 10-channel-analog interconnect set. Surely you have $45,000 laying around that you're just itching to spend... 3.gif3.gif3.gif