Cornwalls for $200 - Boston

jcmjrt

jcmjrt,

I had the same thing happen to me with a 79 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Was kinda rough, needed an oil pump and battery. I offered the guy $200, thought we were in agreement, then I called later and someone else had offered him $500, I said keep it. Later I bought an 89 Town Car in great shape, triple black, rust free for $250, was glad I waited. Perhaps there is a better deal around the corner...

-Jon

Well, it was more than $200, less than the going price on eBay and I won the bidding war.1.gif

In the end they will cost much less than the others because of the cost of a 2,000 mile, 4 day road trip v a 3 hour drive to and from the North Shore of Mass.

I will post some pics when I get them.

Rick

----------------

On 7/6/2005 8:33:15 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

GOOD JOB RICK! Glad you were finally able to score a pair nearby you. We were all pulling for you on this one. Just hope the guy honors your deal.

Michael

----------------

Thanks CP1 And Gary. I've had quite a bit of email correspondence with the seller over the last two days. He seems like a legit guy who almost made an expensive mistake. All I am waiting for is to see if he can fit them into his car and meet me somewhere west of Boston. Boston and the surrornding area has to be the worst place this side of Tokyo to navigate. Once you are off 95, you're lost!14.gif

Rick

Thanks jcmjrt.

Has anyone seen the Laqured Ribbon Mahogony Khorns in Michigan or the Oak Khorns in Tenn. that came up on eBay tonight. The fellow in Conn who had those beautiful birch Cornwalls for BIN $1000 has relisted those too.

Rick

----------------

On 7/6/2005 9:36:51 PM garymd wrote:

Rick,

Where will you use the corns? Separate set-up like me? We'll be like twins.
9.gif
Now all you need is a beautiful pair of decorator heresys sitting in the workroom under a sheet.
15.gif

----------------

Gary, Right now they are going in the spots occupied by my Heresys. I have two two channel setups in my room. That way I can listen to one all week and save my good tubes for the weekend. The Heresys will then take up positions in the rear for movies with the Corn system run from the processor amp's front pre outs. I have a Frankencenter with RF-3 low end and a K-700/K55 and K-77 top split by an E-2 network. I'm going to try to sneak the Khorns upstairs with the LaScala center for serious listening. Think the bride will notice?

Next week I am building a half wall to replace a wrought iron rail at the top of the stairs. Strangely, it will be sized just right for a Khorn. Imagine that!2.gif 4'high for 4 feet square, then a 3 1/2 foot tall x 1 foot shelf and dropping again to three feet for another six feet.

Rick

Good for you Rick! Glad to see that he wasn't a slicked-back salesman and you managed to still get them below market value.

Whereabouts in the north shore are they? I live in San Diego but grew up in the north east and used to vacation up in Rockport and Gloucester.

Although not exactly in the north shore, I've still got family members currently living in Beverly, MA and also in Southboro, MA - right down the road from St. Mark's in fact.

-H2G

The Cornwalls are in the House! We drove up to Swampscott this afternoon. Amazingly I only got turned around once in Boston construction. I thought I had to turn right, my wife had the Mapquest directions and said left. Well.( I did a turn around the block(s) by the Fleet Center and picked up 1A near the MDC Police Station. It was rather smooth after that. We drank our coffee overlooking the ocean in Lynn waiting for our 6 o'clock appointment. It was hot! Mid-ninties at the shore!

At the appointed time the seller pulled up to his home and we did the deal. He was saddened to see them go but he is moving into a condo, so.

The flight home on Air Expedition was uneventful although I had to take some corners under seventy to keep the speakers from falling over.

These are much bigger than I remember. Almost as big as the front of my Klipschorns where they sit. They are not as heavy though, I was able to carry them in and down the steps myself.

I haven't had time to take pics or do any critical listening yet. I'll wait until I do the Xovers for that. My initial impression is that they are a little shy in bass v the Khorns but that is probably the Xovers as the mids are a tad harsher than they should be. Piano sounds a bit honky tonk. Thirty year oil cans will do that.

The new caps should be here tomorrow. Daytons 4uF with 3uF Daytons and Jentzen coils for the P-trap. I have some 2 uF Hoveland Musicaps for the tweets.

When that is done I'll hook my Wrights up to the Foreplay and Corns for a test spin.3.gif

Rick