Members Weekly Music Recommendations-July 5

thebes

Sorry I'm late with this but Happy Birthday America!

It's a new month and we have a new winner of brand spanking new Klipsch t-shirt.

So hoist a tankard of your finest to: GROG!!!

Congrats Grog, so send me a PM or email with your mailing address and it will go out to you this weekend.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

My Morning Jacket, "It Still Moves", cd, rock

Just got this from a friend and have only played it through once but it's worth a hearty head-ups from the Thebes. A combination of classic rock and almost folk from some very talented youngsters. Great at building moods and images and rocking when it wants to. The lead singer almost sounds like he could have sung with The Band. Very cool stuff.

So what do you have to share?

The Beach Boys, Still Cruisin', Suffer Music, CD

Listing to the Beach Boy's perform "Wipe Out" with the Fat Boys on track #6 is just something that has to go down in the music history books! Actually like the song very well.

The PBS 4th of July special featuring the Beach Boy's this one just seems to be in the right spirit of things this month for me!

Greg

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle

http://www.ayreon.com/discography/album.php?album_id=3

This is for all you Trans-Siberian, Nightwish and Dream Theater fans. You can tell the Ayreon guys were prob on acid, but the music really rocks (as all good musicians on acid tend to do), but it is really lyrical and has complex melodies/harmonies too which is always a huge plus in my book. "Amazing Flight" is prob my fave track on that CD, which is super psychadelic but still has that rockin groove to it...I dunno how to describe it without just playing the song. If you like this album then I would suggest their entire lineup, which all has the cool sound, but way different songs (nothing like your typical current day rock bands where every song sounds the same).

At times they get a bit out there though with the crazy intro's...almost like they're trying to brainwash you 2.gif

Oh looky, here's a link to a page with a demo:

http://www.ayreon.com/download/download.php?download_id=107&project_id=1

I guess I really love his voice too...

I took the kids to the library to get their summer reading list and borrowed some music for myself:

Pat Metheny "99/00"

Joe Bonomassasa "Had to Cry Today"

Johnny Lang "Wander This World"

Medeski Martin and Wood "Uninvisible"

The first three were good enough, but Medeski Martin and Wood's is a masterpiece. Amazing all the sounds that come from this trio. Funky hip melodic rock R&B jazz organ grooves. Very creative and very listenable, and the sound just percolates.

This was my first foray into MMW, any fans out there? What else is great by them?

Artist: Dusty Springfield

Album: The Very Best of Dusty Springfield

Type of Music: Timeless (True cross of music types)

Audio CD (April 21, 1998)

Original Release Date: April 21, 1998

Label: Mercury / Universal

I think Dusty best performace was the video "What Have I Done to Deserve This by the Pet Shop Boys featuring Dusty Springfield". This video was created just shortly before Dusty died of cancer.

Dusty was born Mary O'Brien in London, 1939.

Dusty Springfield died in March 1999.

While the "The Very Best of Dusty Springfield" does not have the song above it does have some of the best songs of her career and is one great CD.

http://www.isd.net/mbayly/

Rock World magazine lists her as one of the twelve First Women of Rock;

Rolling Stone declares her "Britain's best ever pop-singer."

In the '60s, Cliff Richard dubbed her "the white negress,"

while Max Bygraves called her "a trouble-maker."

All such labels inevitably fail to capture

the unique essence of British singer Dusty Springfield,

who for nearly forty years, reigned as

one of the world's finest female vocalists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_a_Preacher_Man

Son of a Preacher Man

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Son of a Preacher Man is the best known song from Dusty Springfield's 1969 Dusty in Memphis album.

Written by John Hurley and Ronnie Wilkins, "Son of a Preacher Man" was originally offered to Aretha Franklin who turned it down. It was only upon hearing Dusty's version that she reconsidered and recorded the song herself.

Dusty's version was produced by Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd and Arif Mardin for her first album for the Atlantic Records label and became an international hit reaching number 10 in the USA and number 9 in her native UK when released in late 1968. The song, along with the other tracks of the album, was recorded in stereo though her British Label Philips Records remixed the song to mono for single release. It was to be the last major hit for the artist for almost twenty years until she teamed up with the Pet Shop Boys for the single "What Have I done to deserve this?" in 1987.

The song has since been covered by artists such as Dina Carroll and Nancy Sinatra. Dusty's version became popular again with a younger generation, like a number of other classic popular songs, after its use on the soundtrack to the movie Pulp Fiction.

The Very Best of Dusty Springfield

1. I Only Want to Be With You

2. Wishin' and Hopin'

3. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

4. Stay Awhile

5. Son of a Preacher Man

6. I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself

7. What's It Gonna Be?

8. All Cried Out

9. In the Middle of Nowhere

10. All I See Is You

11. Look of Love

12. Little by Little

13. I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten

14. Some of Your Lovin'

15. I'll Try Anything

16. Losing You

17. Guess Who?

18. Brand New Me

19. Give Me Time

20. Goin' Back

Yes Dusty is one of my all time favorites.

Before I was 10 years old her album was one of the first I went out and bought! That was nearly 40 years ago.

The sad thing is she will create no more music but the good news is we have the songs she left us. And her songs do sound best on Klipsch!

Greg

Been listening to Holst: The Planets. London CD by Orchestre symphonique de Montreal, conductor Charles Dutoit.

I have had this CD for years, but had not listened to it for a few years. I didn't even listen to it when I had my Cornwalls in the house. Put it on today and OHMYGAWD. It shows off the Khorns really well.

The other CD I listened to today was Dream Theater "Octavarium". Prog Rock and VERY well done.

I'm a lucky dog.

Woo

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers- Hard Promises ( cd you all know Tom Petty) Stevie Knicks does some backup and does a duet with the song Insider. Dodger if your reading the cover to this album reminds me of the basement of House of Guitars. Bigtime

Forrest - The Planets is one of my all-time favorite classical pieces. I think it was one of the first that Larry played for me when we first met.

Since my TT has nothing to plug into at the moment, I've been listening to a lot of jazz on CD/SACD. Two of the most well-done jazz SACDs have to be Monk's "Straight, No Chaser" and "Mingus Ah, Um" which I'm listening to right now. Both are brilliant albums which I highly recommend in any format.

John Mayer, Bigger Than My Body, sometimes bluesy, sometimes pop, sometimes rock, but always excellent. HDTV

I am recommending something a little different tonight.

I never heard of John Mayer but there was a PBS-HD SoundStage tonight "John Mayer with special guest Buddy Guy" and I must say I really enjoyed the sounds!

So this may be a first here, I am not recommending a LP, CD or DVD but a PBS-HD SoundStage event!

But I have a ATI HDTV WONDER in my system and when paired with my Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia Ultra's the sound is really great. The picture is great as well since it is in 720P format.

So for the HD fans here is one SoundStage not to miss.

I always like catching SoundStage and in HD it is really great. HDTV includes digital sound so this is the good stuff.

I still think the best SoundStage event was when the Moody Blues played and maybe second Steve Winwood but the John Mayer is a keeper. And yes I recorded the event in HD.

I sure some have heard his music and can recommend a great CD but so far the only thing I have heard is the SoundStage event and I was very impressed.

As PBS said, his music type is sometimes bluesy, sometimes pop, sometimes rock, but always excellent. I must agree 100%.

Side note: My wife watched the recorded program of John Mayer this morning...

She did not like his singing at all. I have to admit he is not a great singer but the band is what made it for me. Still some may not like this one while others may love it. We are divided here at home on this one!

Greg