Klipschorns as group therapy

Woodog

Hi guys and gals, I have to share this story.

Sunday afternoon my Klipschorns proved to be a good ice-breaker and facilitator for me and some of my sons relatives on his mothers side. My sons great aunts family, Jane, her husband David, and their son, John David, came to visit. We have so many differences between us from religious to political to socio-economic (they are well-to-do, me not so much), but there IS one commonality David is crazy about sound systems. Jane (the wife) thinks it is all a big waste.

When David heard that I had Cornwalls a year or so ago, he kept saying that he wanted to hear them and that the Klipschorn was his dream speaker system. When I got my STEAL of a deal on Klipschorns, David was envious. He had never heard them before and he really wanted to check them out. AND he really wants to get a pair for himself. David has a Dynaco ST70 and Ive been trying to get him to let me use it to listen to with my Scott 355. Hes not been receptive to that idea yet.

On Friday I had taken Gavin (my son) to visit with them (John David is Gavins age) and David told me he would be glad to bring him back on Sunday (an unusual occurance). I didnt think anything of it, but Gavin gave a call on Sunday, a couple of hours before returning, and told me that David would like to hear the speakers (adding, and knowing you, youll want to show them off!)

Oh yeah!

Cleaned up the house, cranked up the room AC (so I could turn it off when they got here) and picked out tunes to play.

David came in, followed by Jane, who had her arms crossed in body language that said, I dont want to be here. When she saw the speakers she said, Is this them? Theyre huge theres no way we have room for these. This is a laughable statement.. my apartment is about 650 square feet, their home is nearly 3000 square feet.

Me: but look how they disappear into the corners and you know, you can get these in the most exquisite veneers. And honestly, if David were to get some of these, he would probably get rid of his other speakers; think of how much room that would free up.

Jane: Whatever (she rolls her eyes)

I direct David to the sweet spot, and she sits in a chair a bit off to the right. I put on Paul Winters Prayer for the Wild Things.. track 8, Moose Walk. This has excellent percussion with a bass clarinet and a contra-bassoon echoing each other in a call-and-response fashion. The track ends with a ~32hz Db note and continues into track 9 with bird sounds that seem to hover in the middle of the room. Jane talked incessantly throughout the entire thing and sat between David and one of the speakers, spoiling the imaging.

Me: Jane, you should sit in the sweet spot.

Jane: Oh, they sound just fine right here whats so special about that chair? Theyre not going to sound any different. Youre just like David, hes always so particular about where his chair is.

Me: Jane, aw come on, let me show off to you. Please. I dont have that many nice things, but this particular thing I do have is REALLY nice. Sit. And shush please. Just listen.

I put on Ricky Lee Jones Pop! Pop! track 6, Dat Dere. Starts off with a plucky nylon string guitar, thick bass, sax, and childrens voices that leap out at you from the center of the image.

Jane literally jumps and lets out a little yelp of surprise.

Me: told ya! ( I wink and smile)

Jane motions for her son, John David, to sit in the sweet spot and tells me to start the track over again. She says that sounds just like you when you were little (talking about the childs voice on the recording). John David's face lights up and he says, wow. Then she makes him move so she can sit there for the whole thing. After David asks for the sweet spot back, Jane sits close to him so she can still enjoy the imaging. Im loving it.

Jane says to David, Youve got church tonight, but I think youre in heaven right now.

David: Not exactly, but close.

They stay another hour or so, and the room was getting warm since the AC was shut off for quiet. We listened to various cuts from Norah Jones to Jimi Hendrix (Davids CD.. I was SHOCKED!) to Durufle to Eagles. And they are quiet and listening, talking only between cuts. When they were leaving Jane said to me you say you can get them in different veneers?

Jane says to David: Where would you put that old Wurlitzer? (David has a vintage Wurlitzer - awesome looking!).

David: Id find some place for it I wouldnt get rid of it its too cool.

As they are walking out David mouths a silent thank you while shaking my hand bye bye.

I dont know if the thaw will last, but for that day at least there was a shift in the climate.

All in all a good day. 1.gif

Woo

Very cool, Forrest! Good choice of music, too! I thoroughly dig Prayer For The Wild Things, too (thanks again!). My brother has had a similar epiphany (listening to the I Am Sam soundtrack) in my living room. He has Bose cubes at home...