Japanese Vinyl

rplace

What is the deal with LPs from Japan? They seem to command a high price. I remember back in the 70s/80s anytime I went in a record store the imports from Japan were much more and that seems to hold true today on ebay.

Do they make noticeably better pressings? Is it the fact that they are harder to come by from a collectors point of view? Are they worth seeking out or just a nice to have if you have the cash sort of thing?

First off there are some non-Japanese oriental brands floating around that sound really bad. All records made in Japan since about '72 have a tiny circle on the lead out with the letters JIS inside.

Do they sound better than the originals? Depends on which original you are talking about. The best Beatles records are made in the UK under Parlophone. Germany, Holland and Japan placing second.

On the other hand I have 3 copies of the first Cars album. The original in the middle, the "Nautilus

Super Disc" being the worst and the Japanese being the best easily.

There is no hard and fast rule to recording collecting. Best bet is do a search on Vinyl Asylum on the record you are thinking about.

Recently (within the past couple of years - I cant remember exactly when) the Beatles catalogue was released on Japanese vinyl. Received a lot of hype but did not live up to the hype. I think that a lot of folks spent some bucks on some very questionable vinyl.

On the other hand,I agree with Allan that in the 70s and 80s Japanese vinyl was way superior to domestic. When I got back into vinyl I rediscovered some Japanese pressings of Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson that I had purchased years ago. They tend to find there way onto the tt quite often

Josh