new AL-3 crossovers by BEC

I've been listening to a new pair of Bob's AL-3 crossovers in my Khorn system. My custom is to swap out from time to time a pair of ALK type A replacements and a pair of BEC Type A crossovers every month or so, just for enjoyment of the difference in reference sound.

Had a chance to listen to these BEC AL-3's and have enjoyed them immensely. These are beefy looking beasts with more of those big rascal caps that were PWK's choice on crossovers. Bob tells me that they are essentially the same circuit as the AK-3 crossovers, which I find to be an interesting thought.

My take on the sound: Of course, one will hear that PWK "right out of the factory" sound. What distinguishes the AL-3 from the original type A, is mostly the increased clarity and detail of the midrange. First installed one Al-3 on one side, leaving the Type A in the other. Switched the preamp to mono, then listened back and forth using the balance control to change from one side to the other.

I was wondering, hmmm, now what is the difference that I'm hearing? The bass and top end sound pretty much the same, though the type A sounds slightly brighter on the top. Yes, what I'm hearing is indeed more definition in the midrange and yet the midrange maintains it's balance in the mix... meaning, I'm hearing more, but midrange is not louder or more forward.

That's a pleasant difference to hear. There is more technical info that Bob has shared with me, so I hope he will chime in to talk more about that. Quite an interesting project, IMO, since the AL type seems to be the most underappreciated of all of PWK's designs.

Thanks Bob, this is fun to the ears!

The AL-3 and AK-3 are really identical circuits except for a small difference in the capacitance in the woofer circuit and the added tweeter protection (polyswitch) that the AL-3 has and the AK-3 does not have. Then we can continue this comparison to the AB-2 for the Belle. It is identical to the AL-3 but does not have the polyswitch. I think all these networks are so close to each other that they are really interchangable.

Bob Crites

----------------

On 7/7/2005 8:42:55 AM Tony Reed wrote:

Yes, the AL-3 was originally designed for the LaScala. BTW, I wonder what crossover Bob is using in the Cornscala.

Tony

----------------

The Cornscala uses the Type CS of course.

Bob